Saturday, January 4, 2020

Wonky Courthouse Steps

 
  Off and on during the last two weeks I worked on joining the multitude of wonky courthouse step  blocks.  From my stack of 80 completed blocks came a top. 
  These wonky blocks  are from Bonnie Hunter's tutorial and I sure enjoyed building them.  The strip widths vary and not all seams are straight like the strings, but they all came together.  . 





   And anything goes here.  Close up you can see the odd mix of fabrics. But the above full view just shows a dancing top full of color.   

I really thought I would eat thru the scraps and strings.....but still more strings lie in wait. 
  I did a stay stitch around the entire top to keep seams from popping and things from stretching.  I now need to find backing, or sew odd bits together or if all else fails....order backing for this.
   This was a perfect project for me ......dealing with the extreme pain in my hands and joints.  Such that the doctor is referring me to a rheumatologist  to see if they can determine another course of treatment.  I agreed but am very doubtful they can help.   Even so this will be my first project for the year. 

  This morning's emails brought a wonderful note from Andrea who blogs in Australia   I don't follow her but she found my blog and the Chandelier Bead blocks I did posts about .   She was asking to use the block pattern for Friday Night sews for her guild.  She said many of the members make blocks and turn them into charity quilts.    I was thrilled to agree and so glad she even thought to ask.  I am hoping some of these blocks get turned into quilts for the bushfire victims there.  It is just horrific what they are dealing with. 
  Happy stitching.     

15 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

That's a lot of sewing- all those strips! All the different fabrics really work as a whole unit.
You never know when a treatment will work or be discovered. I had chronic debilitating migraines for two decades of more drugs than I care to think about and found the solution in my jaw and neck. Who would think a dentist could solve that? I tried every other neurological idea to no avail and probably harm.

Quilting Babcia said...

Wow, that is a fun-loving quilt top! And no, the strips and scraps never go away ... I hope the rheumatologist has some helpful suggestions for treating your joint issues. Are you on a gluten-free diet? I've heard some people have had good luck improving their joint issues when they go gluten-free. It would be awfully hard for me to do, grains and breads in all forms are about my most favorite food.

Janet O. said...

Anything goes, and it all comes together so very well!
I hope you can get some answers that will bring you relief. And I hope you will share with us what it is recommended you do.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love this quilt! And they are fun to make. I enjoy looking closely at them because they look so different at a distance. The Chandelier Bead blocks are perfect for a guild - so glad Andrea found you. I sure hope the rheumatologist can find a way to give you some relief. I am hoping for good things for you in 2020. ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is such a fun quilt and nice way to use up those scrappy strips. We have Aussie friends that we have not heard from and wait patiently. Sorry your pain is not controllable. I use the hunter's warming hand activated patches sometimes. Too much hand quilting sets things off and just holding those little heated packs is a big help.

Mary said...

What a great way to start the year. I love the way this one turned out. I hope your new doctor can get you some relief.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That's a lot of sewing and a great start to the year! Love it! I'm just so sorry about the pain. Wish I had a magical fix!

Gene Black said...

The Wonky Courthouse quilt looks wonderful. I love a scrappy quilt like this because it is both organized and still wild/free.

Don't give up on finding a solution for the pain. I have seen people go from being practically crippled with it to being happy and active. And that is certainly what I hope for you.

LA Paylor said...

first of all thank you for giving us the chandelier blocks, I loved doing mine (not set and finished yet) and the outreach affect is touching. This quilt is wonderful. I am reminded how much the human eye wants order since you call it wonky but it looks perfectly laid out to my eyes. It's hard to do wonky actually, since they usually come out looking perfectly straight. The overall feel is so pretty and satisfying. Amazing isn't it when you use up so much fabric and it looks the same in the box. My white beige box did finally stop being overstuffed last year, after three major quilts in RSC.

jarnspiger said...

I always enjoy your posts and your quilt finishes. I think you were the first quilt blogger I started following because I absolutely love your watercolor technique. I understand the debilitating pain in hands and joints as I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have found a drastic change of diet helped some. No gluten, as much organic as possible, no Chicken or dairy. There was a time when I couldn't even lift a coffee cup but I am better. I hope you are able to find something that works for you as well. Sending prayers and positive juju.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Looks great, and it's always good to find a way to keep going in some way at what we love!

Louise said...

This is fabulous in the way only scrap quilts can be: riotous fabric variety, yet all playing together so nicely! I'm glad you were able to stitch it when other projects seemed like too much. Holding a positive thought that you'll find some relief soon, Debbie. And how great to think of folks on the other side of the planet stitching up your Beads block :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Your wonky Courthouse Steps is exciting, such a good way to use up a mix of fabrics.
Debbie sorry to hear you're off to see a rheumatologist but perhaps he can suggest a medication regime which will help deal with the pain, I do hope so Good luck with your appointment.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your wonky courthouse steps. Hope the new doc can find some help for the hand pain.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great top. There are gloves (no fingers) that you can get that might help while you are crafting. Just google 'therapy gloves'. There are all kinds. I have some for when my tendinitis starts flaring up. I need to get some for my thumbs (arthritis in both thumbs).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...