Monday, February 20, 2012

A couple of options

   I finished up the "no lining" style trashcan bag and wanted to share another option I used in finishing.
  The straps for the handles were made like I described in my first post  ---Out of the trashcan---with a double layer of batting.  To get the length I pieced several short strips together.  I do like the look of it better that way.  I generally like my straps to be about 24 inches, but these ended up about 27 inches.  Once it was completely finished, I decided to shorten them a little.  Don't panic, I did not un-stitch anything.
   I just  folded down the handle strap about 1" and then flipped the handle back up and pinned in place.  This creates a "tab" look just below the binding around the top.
     Here you can see how I stitched it in place by sewing it down  just below the binding.  Then a diagonal line of stitching to the bottom.  Now the straps are 24 inches.
   Another option:
 The handle straps could be made longer and extend down the front of the bag to the bottom seam.  This would allow you to add an outside pocket placed between the straps.  If you want to do that, the straps should be top-stitched down over the pocket edges before the bottom seam is finished and any inside pockets put in.   I would also not use double layer of batting in the stitched down portion of the handles.  Just think the process through before you begin.

One bag in floral fabrics, and one in batiks.  I can think of several combinations that I would like to do this style in.....all blues, toile prints,  black and white prints, all reds, and then maybe a kitchen sink mix where anything goes.  A great way to express yourself!
  So, no more narrow strips of batting in my storage box or trashcan---absolutely none left, and a nice dent in the strip scrap box.   That makes this project a success in my book.
Happy stitching.  

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Well, Debbie, I'd say the two beautiful bags you made make this project a success regardless of any of that other stuff!
I especially love this batik bag. Though I won't be making one anytime soon (bags seem to multiply in my closet at night) I can wish one of current bags looked like this! : )

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing such detailed tutorials. The bags are lovely. I've added this to my ever growing list of projects I want to do.

Kats Studio said...

I really love the way this bag turned out. Thanks so much for sharing your techniques.

Lynne said...

Sounds good to me. I must show DD tomorrow; she really wants to make a bag.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a neat bag! I'm your newest follower coming over from Hill Country Quilter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...