Friday, February 17, 2012

Updates

 
Bag is done...... as you can see,  it can fully stand by itself!  I think a little adjustment / refinement  of the technique is needed.    Note the button I used is one I picked up in Alaska.....made from deer or moose antler.



I used basic tote bag construction.  I made 2 sections, one for the back and one for the front.
Size of each section was 14" across and 13" high---this would give me a bag that finishes up about 11" by 11" and 3" deep.
   Mistake #1:  Using my usual technique of making the handle straps for the body that I showed before.  I like a double layer of batting in the handles, but NOT here!  So, I will modify my technique and use a single layer of batting when making them for bag #2.
  Mistake #2:  I cut out the corners at the bottom--like I usually do-- to eliminate the triangular flap when creating a square corner for the bottoms.

 I ended up with a very thick and exposed edge that I do not like.  Here's a link that shows how to stitch  across the corner to square off the bag, and you have a triangular flap.   I will keep the flap / corner triangles on bag #2, and just tack them down. That will give me all covered seams.



Joining the side seams:    No zigzag stitch here.....I just straight stitched very close to the finished edge.  In the photo I  joined 2 narrow yellow strips for the side seam.  No problem with this for me.








 The inside:  The bottom seam of the bag was covered with a folded strip of fabric and top stitched down.  Again, thickness was a challenge here, but the finished edge looks good.  I only added one pocket---again using folded strips on the raw edges and top stitching in place.

 Finishing the top edge:  Usual technique worked fine.  I used a strip of fabric 2 1/2" wide, folded it in half.  I  stitched it to the wrong / inside of the bag over the handles and the loop to close.  The folded edge comes over to the outside and is top stitched down.

     I know I have sent you over to The Nifty Stitcher before.  But please go again and check out her video as she stitches her feathers.....especially if you are on the fence about trying this month's free motion challenge.  She makes it look so effortless that her video deserves a look.    
   Another stolen quilt.....click here to read Bonnie's post .
I am just back from being smashed, squashed, squished, poked and prodded......you get the idea.  The radiologist did find a small dense area and a biopsy is scheduled.   I still have the other procedure to endure next week, so please remember me in your prayers.    Happy stitching.

12 comments:

Terri said...

Love your bag! I think I need one, too. My summer bags are so ancient, and really icky.
Sorry to hear you need a biopsy. I'll pray for benign results.
Hugs!!!!!!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The bag looks great!! Sending prayers. :o)

Impera Magna said...

Love the bag... have been thinking about making one since your last post!

Hate that you have to have a biopsy...but hopefully it will turn out to be nothing. Will be praying for you!

Janet O. said...

Very cool looking bag!!

Juanita said...

Sending you positive thoughts for a negative result. Try not to worry too much.

HollyM said...

Ooh I hate those tests! Hopefully all will be well.
I didn't find what your other procedure is but good luck with it.
I read through some of your machine quilting posts, While I don't do a lot of traditional quilting I do a lot of thread painting and free motion work so there were lots of good tips.

Nicki said...

I'm still lifting you up in my prayers until all this passes.
I love, love, love the bag you made. You have such a wonderful way with colors. The next time I make a bag I will definately try this method. Thanks for sharing the "pattern" with us!

I practiced feathers last week-end but after watching the video I think I know where some of my problems are. Thanks!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Love your bag too! Having just completed 2 totes myself in the past 2 weeks I wanted to ask if you lined the bag? For all appearances it looks like you made the lining identical to the outside. Anyways it is beautiful. Love the inside too! I will keep you in prayer in hopes that it is nothing. I need to make the similar appointment too! Not looking forward to it.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana Gaffney said...

The bag came out great, I had imagined the fabric running horizontal. Seeing the lining and pocket reminded me I don't like sewing totes, but I might try this and if I like it, I'll throw a basic lining in, maybe using striped fabric. Thanks for the video, I'm not doing to well with the feathers and when frustration starts, I walk away.
I'm always sending you positive thoughts, you give me a lot of inspiration. Haven't you been feeling them? I'll up the dose.
Biopsy no fun, close your eyes.

barbara woods said...

love your bag. praying everything is ok next week

Delia (Del) said...

Beautiful as always.
Delia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...