Tuesday, December 27, 2016

No looking back, just ahead

   Instead of reviewing this last year as I usually do,  I am looking forward.    I can't bear the mental trauma a review would cause.   I am just diving in to my plans for 2017.


   Nothing like  simple traditional patterns.  They evoke memories in us all.  The 9 patch often gets relegated to a fill-in block or maybe a good block for a border.  I have been very guilty of that type of thinking.  You can't live "Be Legendary" by thinking/playing in the same old mode.  This 9-patch wants to shine.









   After Shelia at Quilting in South Carolina did a program on 9 patch quilts at guild a few months ago, I pulled out my over flowing file of 9 patch quilts.   I have saved pages from years of magazines.     I want a simple layout.  That part is easy, as  my favorite is on point.   I have floral prints...lol...and a small bolt of white.  So that is decided on.  

   Lots of strips became my leaders/enders while I was piecing some flying geese.  Or was it the other way around.  Either way, I ended up with lots of 9 patch blocks and enough flying geese for a donation quilt.







   I am planning applique for some of the plain setting squares.  Or I think I am.....I am going to get a few done and see if it is what I want.   I am not sure if the applique blocks will fill in the center or just along the outer edge. I am making a few to see what I think.  If they are not used here.  then the applique blocks will be a start for something else.


 This is my selected project to start 2017.  And this is my simple formula for leaders and enders production, a la the scrap queen, Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.  

Recipe: Will yield 2 "9 patch" blocks
  2'' strips of white
  2'' strips of floral prints
For the prints (P):  Cut one length at 4 1/2'' and  two lengths at 8 1/2''.
From the white (W):  Cut two lengths at 4 1/2'' and one length at 8 1/2''.
   Sew strip units....4 1/2'' W-P-W and the 8 1/2'' P-W-P.   Press seams to print.
   Sub-cut----each unit is sub-cut at 2''.
 Then assembly 9 patch.  Block is 5 1/2'' unfinished.

    To finish off December I have two small quilts that are in the binding stage, and a couple that need to be pinned.....backing and batting to be cut.  I will start the new year with finishes for sure!  I am priming up for the new year.  Happy stitching.

13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Looking ahead is a good plan and slow and simple works, too. I love the simple 9-patch. A classic block that can be 'dressed' up so many ways. Your pretty florals are going to make them come alive.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Great idea to look ahead. Love the 9-patch on point although I've never done one on point. Enjoy! ~Jeanne

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm liking the look of that, with our without the applique. Have fun looking ahead.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Sometimes its fun to reflect...sometimes its fun to just jump ahead!! ENJoy!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Looking ahead is a good plan--always nice to enjoy someone else's finishes and hard work

Anonymous said...

I like the simplicity of your nine-patch. And thrilled for you to be starting the new year with finishes.

Quilting Babcia said...

Always best to be looking forward. Your spring flower nine-patch looks like it will make a perfect first finish for the new year! Full speed ahead! (or whatever is full speed for folks our age lol!)

Gene Black said...

I love your use of the nine patch on point with lots of "white space" to play with for quilting. It is simple but elegant.

Dana Gaffney said...

I love this, it's beautiful. I've always thought that chain quilts have an elegance to them with or without embellishment.

Barbara said...

I love the nine-patch block. It's the first one I learned, and the Irish Chain is one of my favorite traditional quilt patterns. Good choice.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm another who loves 9 patch quilts, looking forward to seeing this one!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I like the idea of just looking ahead. I've noticed the last few years that people are no longer liking the idea of New Year's Resolutions and all of that, but I think I'll always spend my New Year's Eve and/or Day looking forward to what I want to improve on and what new things I want accomplish. Other than a few areas that just kinda need to be "re-visited", I have to admit that in going through this process here in a few days, I'm going to avoid looking back as much as possible. Here's to a wonderful and healing 2017 for you, filled with much joy and happiness, fun new projects and maybe even a few pleasant surprises!

Nicki said...

I like how this one is coming along. I vote for the floral appliques.....very petty & different.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...