Sunday, April 23, 2017

Discoveries

  I will be spending lots of time sorting, purging, shifting everything in the sewing room.  It all has to be moved out for some foundation repairs to be done to the house next month.  The thought of the disruption and such that go with it is enough.  Then they said the back room.....my sewing room....ugh.  No one, and I mean no one, knows how much "STUFF" is tucked away there.



    It is amazing what can be discovered in the depths of the sewing room!  Items forgotten and never remembered, items lost/misplaced, hand offs meant for completion.....and so on.  I started on the 2 book shelves and these 4 items were my discoveries of the day:   A stack of small layered raw edge applique blocks.....enough for a small quilt.   Embroidered hankie that will turn into a mug rug for gifting.   Magazine tear out with perfect instructions for making HSTs from strips.  Handbag pattern....the X Bag.
  These I set aside as small things I want to indulge in, as time presents itself or I need stress relief!   I also set aside a huge stack of books that I culled from the shelves......Sir Old Man's cousin gets first dibs on them.


   So here I am sorting and purging and the mail comes........a small package from JHittle of notions that I ordered!  Not pictured are the small snips and machine oil for use with the Featherweight.  The rotary cutter blades are generic and 10 to a pack.  Luckily the notions are small and won't be such a problem to move as the rest of the stuff.  A bigger problem is where to relocate for a week......probably in the garage for most of it, and the machines in the guest bedroom.  
  But today, I think I will piece strips on the FW as I catch a movie.....just to not think on it all.
Happy stitching.

13 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love JHittle! You are going to love those Perfect Scissors, I use mine all the time especially for wool appliques. Good luck with the clean out and the repairs.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I know how overwhelming it can be to move a sewing room. I had to move mine all out when I had the hardwood floor refinished 10 years ago. Now it is FULL again and definitely needs to have items purged.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely little finds. I will be moving mine soon (upstairs no less), but I am purged already.

Quilting Babcia said...

Discoveries are nice, of the sewing/fabrickind, needed foundation work not so much. That would be my worst nightmare!

Mary said...

Oh, what a chore...and for foundation repairs, no less. At least you will end up with a nicely organized space.

Nicki said...

They say a move every so often is good. It allows you to purge & get rid of unnecessary things. I think that would be the case for a sewing room also. We've been in the same home for 43 years (with NO purging)! You can just imagine what all we have accumulated in that time...things we certainly don't need anymore. Good luck with the repairs.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Good luck getting everything moved - it is good to clean out and purge but it's also a disruption, a big pain! I'm sure you'd rather be quilting. I hope the needed repairs are made quickly. ~Jeanne

Gene Black said...

I can not imagine moving everything out of any room of my house -except *maybe* the bathroom. yikes!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

We had to get foundation work on our old home, when we were in Tulsa. Thank goodness, ours was just the garage that needed to be fixed. Thank goodness we didn't have to move anything. The thought of moving stuff out of my sewing room would give me nightmares. I did a small cleaning, a couple of months ago, and found lots of stuff I'd forgotten about, and I only scratched the surface. Good luck!

Dana Gaffney said...

It's nice to be finding stuff, but I can't even imagine having to move or even clean up my sewing room. I'm liking your attitude about it :)

Sylvia Anderson said...

Purging....what an ugly word, and I am so sorry that you have to go through this process, especially in the room that contains sooooooooooooooo many necessary, had to have, must have, items found on top of, inside of, underneath, tucked away, well you get the picture by now. I do not envy you this ginormous task, but it could result in the discovery of some long lost goodies as well. Slow and easy does it.

Janet O. said...

A painful mental process, to be sure, but I believe it is rewarding in the end to have freed yourself of unnecessary cargo. The dislocation and feeling of nowhere to call your own will be the hardest thing, IMHO. I wish you well during the disruption to your peace, and hope the whole thing moves quickly!!

Barbara said...

I was out of my sewing room for a couple of months several years ago...what a bummer. You're right though. It is a good opportunity to find hidden treasures. Haven't cleaned out my sewing closet in a while. Now you've made me curious to know what I might find in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...