Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Watercolor and workshop

  I didn't get a post done to share the watercolor experimental piece.  Last month I shared the collection of units made with 2'' floral squares.  I ended up with 12 of them.  The fused blocks started at 14'', and when the seams were sewn  ended up as 10 1/2''.

    I played with various layouts but kept returning to this style with the light areas spreading in a diagonal across the top.  In the end I decided to sash them together.  If you have visited before, you are aware that it is not a favorite technique of mine.    Yet, I thought it was needed for this top.  I used various very light florals as the define the block units and blend where the light areas moved from one block to another.
  Then a band of 2'' strips were added around the outer side.  I am thinking it needs one more round of dark floral fabrics.  For now it is on the design wall.

Tuesday was a great workshop.  All eight were fairly new to the concept of blending fabrics and value.  A couple were very much worried about using different colors.....until I kept tossing in colors they hadn't thought to choose.  Anyway,  a few of the projects in process.  My photos aren't great but you can see how they began.


   I had them begin designing after sorting the values of squares.  Light areas were decided on and then the darker areas--usually at the bottom were laid out.    I made the rounds as they worked, pointing at areas that needed some tweaking.  And
always pushing the value viewer, and smoothing hard lines.

  The one fabric lacking.....light values!  We flipped a lot of squares over to get light enough values.   No surprise there, so before another workshop, I need to scope out more light values.


   At the end of 4 hours, everyone had a fused piece to take home and sew.   I asked for finished photos to share here, so I am expecting some really good results.

  Sir Old Man was useful as always...beyond lugging and toting the supplies, He helped iron some final pieces!  I could not teach without him.

   I ended the day with a short nap, and long shower.  Pure bliss.

Happy stitching.


Dana Gaffney said...

So much fun! I'd love to take one of your classes. I hope you get finished pictures that you can share with us, they're always so pretty.

Mary said...

Sounds like you had a great day. I hope to see some of your students' work. Wish I could be in one of your workshops.

Ray and Jeanne said...

So glad it went well. I'd love to be in one of your classes and I bet every one of your students was delighted. ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm with Dana, would love to take a class with you.

Janet O. said...

I think the sashing in your piece gives the appearance of a garden trellis.
Those students learned from the best. I hope you get some photos to share. (I recall my Mom flipped fabrics, and not just in her watercolor quilts. And most of the time it was on purpose. LOL)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is always fun to watch the students work and to teach them the tweaking to create a really nice piece.

MissPat said...

I find the value I'm usually short of is ths lights. I seem to have mostly medium values. Also need to add to the darkz, but not as much as the lights. I need to get back to my watercolor trip around the world.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great workshop! I love how they jumped right in. I need to overcome the inertia and drag out all those squares I have been collecting and get them on the wall. So glad you were able to teach them.

Gene Black said...

In my current bed quilt I have flipped one of the fabrics because the "back" looked nicer in the design.
I need that workshop for blending and tweaking.

Mystic Quilter said...

I love how you've set your watercolour blocks, the border of dark squares really holds everything in beautifully and I think it would look great with another row. Looks like a good workshop and not too long.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad the class went well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...