Friday, August 18, 2017

Once again......scrappy mountains majesty

   I had a comment this week on  some of my quilts.   The comment picked up on the simplicity of the  patterns I use  to create some of my  quilts.  I loved that....someone gets my philosophy.  Let the fabric do the work for you....and  I find that simple patterns work best with busy, colorful fabrics.    That is what satisfies me, and what you will find me doing.

   As I continue to use up my floral stash, I also tend to repeat patterns.   Nothing wrong with a repeat, if it is one you like a lot.  I enjoy figuring out a new version of my favorites.

  So from the stack of oldies that I made.......scrappy mountain majesty is a very easy pattern.  I use the tutorial from Bonnie at Quiltville.com  .   I made this first version about 7 to 8 years ago from large scraps that I had on hand.  I used a larger square and  sub-cut for this one....I think 2 1/2'' strips, so the blocks are larger.  This was mainly to learn the technique and use up some fabric.









  Fast forward to 2014, and enter the "whopper" for our bed and a tribute to Sir Old Man's woodworking skills.  

   This is the Buzz Saw quilt....same pattern with an extra strip added turn it into the  square buzz saw block.    If you want details...go to the linked posts.










   And this is what you will find on my design wall right now.   This version is done in florals.....let's just say the Year of Florals started 2 years ago is still continuing.
  Anyway, I am not sure if this is the layout I will use, or if I will make more blocks, or if there will be borders.    This is just what there is for now.

Happy stitching.

14 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have repeated a few patterns - there is nothing wrong with that!
Making the fabric do part of the work is just a natural thing to do. Funny thing, I woke up this morning thinking about chisel shapes.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the new floral blocks. Reminds me of sunlight and shadows flickering across a garden. I would do another kaleidoscope and flowering snowball quilt in a heartbeat.

MissPat said...

The Buzz Saw quilt is one of my favorites from your quilts. I made one Scrappy Mountains Majesties quilt for my brother-in-law when he was undergoing treatment for leukemia. He loved it and showed it off to everyone. Sadly, he succumbed to other causes less than two years later, but his sister has the quilt now.
I've done several versions of I Spy quilts for kids.
Pat

Dana Gaffney said...

The Whopper is one of my all time favorites of yours, the Scrappy Mountains in florals is going to be gorgeous. I like the fabric doing the work for me, sometimes the second I see a fabric it "tells" me what to do with it. I always have to do more piecing when I use a solid.

Janet O. said...

I like your approach--let the fabric do the work for you. Why hadn't I thought of that? Seems a natural thought for a lazy quilter like me to have, but there is nothing lazy about the way you apply it. Each of these is a beauty, and even though there aren't a lot of florals in there working on the first one, I really like it. The rich colors work together beautifully, even without flowers. :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like your blue and white Buzz Saw. In my sorting yesterday I just ran across the original pattern for that quilt which was Tribble Trouble when That Patchwork Place published it in 1996. Later I saw it as Buzz Saw in a Leisure Arts flannel quilt book and I made it twice, both times in flannel. I repeat patterns a lot too. If it was fun the first time it will probably be fun the second and third time too.

Nicki said...

I fell in love with the Buzz Saw quilt in 2014 & still love it. I've made patterns more than once also. Quilting is so versatile.

Robby said...

I repeat patterns from time to time, especially if fabric and color placement are critical to the project. Knowing the quirks of the design free me to be more adventurous in the fabric and color choices. I figure if an artist can do a series of paintings, why not?

KatieQ said...

The Mountain Majesty blocks look really different in the floral fabrics. It is really eye catching. The Buzz Saw quilt is beautiful. Did your husband ever finish making the bed it was to go on?

Mystic Quilter said...

Love all your scrappy mountains, I've never seen one made with solids before, I like the result very much indeed. I have made only one in this pattern and used florals as you have done in your last photo. I think it's a very versatile pattern.

Quilting Babcia said...

Those blocks are so versatile and you've created some beauties with the varying settings and fabrics.

Lindah said...

A floral Scrappy Mountain! Springtime in the Rockies??? I like the look of it in florals. hmmm Recently, I was gifted with a box of auntie's quilt fabrics, most of them florals. Some big, but mostly small. Very old fashioned. I think they might work for this. IF I can reduce the strip size enough. I would be making small lap quilts for a local hospital. Gives me something to think about. Yours look very nice.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the Buzz Saw. I made one Scrappy Mt. years ago. I might just need to make another when I finish something else.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too like the scrappy mountains. Maybe cause it reminds of Fall....LOL! But it will be cozy to use!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...