Friday, September 15, 2017

It takes Heart

  Hearts have always been a favorite motif for me.  When I was able to do crazy quilting many years ago, I made lots of hearts, and gave them as gifts, and such.    I even have a crazy quilted quilt with the heart motif.     The top was given to me from the quilt guild when I was President.  I actually finished off the embroidery, and added the crazy quilted border.  Then 1 batted it and hand quilted in the open areas.




  And then there is the strip pieced water color heart.  This was the first strip pieced one I did.

   It's  an on-going thing for me to translate the heart motif to whatever technique I am doing.  I do lots of heart motif quilting and the feather shape comes from the same curve as the heart top.




   All of this leads up to making a few token scrappy, leftover hearts.  I first heard about making small hearts, sewing them and sowing them from Barbara, Smitty and Sadie's mom, at Catpatches blog.    She was making a few to hide and sow along her travels this fall.  Then I began to see some reported "found hearts" on FB.

 Here is the story about ifoundaquiltedheart  with details and such.    I just used a few chunks of fabric, some scraps, a bit of ribbon.  Very simple, raw edged shape, and not too perfect :)





  I had  designed the hang tag  but not printed it when the power went out.   So this morning was a good time to get the tags printed and tag the hearts.  I want to sow a couple when I go to therapy .
   The hearts I have made may not be posted on the website or on FB, but  I enjoyed playing around with them.  In this crazy, hectic, fast-paced world  with so much happening and going on, it is nice to do something simple and maybe brighten someone's day.   It takes Heart.💗
Happy stitching.

10 comments:

Gene Black said...

Sweet! That is a great way to use up some scraps.

Susan Ulrich said...

Love the heart idea! I will definitely be doing this! And I certainly love your watercolor quilts. They're just beautiful!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love hearts too. Great idea for more populated areas. Having said I love hearts, there's a baggie of about 100 feedsack reproduction hearts in my closet that still await being made into a quilt. It's been there for at least 5 or 6 years - time to do something about that.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love hearts. One of the first serious quilts I did was a heart bargello from a book. I asked the quilt store lady if it was hard and she said, no, just follow the book. As a new quilter, it took many attempts and years to get it together. It is the only quilt I have for my bed. Gave the book away immediately after finishing the quilt. I make pocket quilts to give away from scraps and had some words printed on yardage from Spoonflower that I use. I will send you some when I make another batch.

Mystic Quilter said...

I have never made anything with a heart on it!! I fell for a quilt with lots of hearts using Tula Pink fabrics (I have some in my stash), you may have gotten me started on something new!!

Nicki said...

I love your heart quilts and really like the idea of the "ifoundaquiltedheart" program. What a neat idea. Looks like you are off to a good start with your hearts.
P.S. Checking to see if I fixed my profile so you can see my comment.

Mary said...

What a neat idea and thanks for sharing the pics of your heart quilts.

---"Love" said...

Your heart quilts are so beautiful! And what a blessing those small hearts will be to the finders! ---"Love"

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

How fun how fun is that!?! Hope to do a few myself!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

LOVE LOVE the heart tags!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...