Saturday, December 16, 2017

Absence explained

  I have been absent, not away, with too much going on.  And I never did get cookies made.  Things I did accomplish include......a double batch of Chex mix for the nephews and Sir Old Man to munch on, shopping is finished, packages mailed, Christmas notes sent,  side dishes for Christmas dinner assembled and frozen, small amount of stitching, and birthday brunch out.  Yep, I am a year older and almost forgot about it:) 

Refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro 12.3" Multi-touch, 7th-generation Intel Core i7, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro    Sir Old Man didn't......He decided to make my life even easier and got me a Surface Pro, you know the fancy thing to replace a laptop or a tablet.    So it is learning time for me.  I called our IT friend and he will help us get all the settings right and set up sharing.  And that's all I really know to date. 

  I did catch the HQ live video on it for this month.  Feathers with Jane Hauprich was excellent!   It's an hour video and worth the watching.  She uses the HQ sit-down machine, but her techniques work even for LAs.   I loved being able to sit in my chair, feet up with  the tablet to watch it. 



  And a second video I watched today from Janome.  Anna Maria Horner shared a pattern for her Turn It Up quilt.  Lots of scraps went into this one as well as a good lesson on using value in our quilts.  You know that was right up my alley.  It's very simple, squares and HSTs .  And she offers a PDF to download. 


   My last to share today is from C and T Publishing.  Click here to get the Carolina Chain quilt pattern from Bonnie Hunter.   They are sharing full instructions for the on-point layout.  This photo is one I made with a straight set several years ago. 

  Stitching.....a bit more to do as I assemble the 16 patch blocks into two narrow foot warmers for the bed.  And I finally decided on a quilting motid for the baby quilt.  Now I just need a few hours without interruption or distraction.    Maybe today.......happy stitching.

10 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am with you on the "too much going on." That has also been my reason for lack of blogging lately.

QuiltShopGal said...

Not sure why this year, but it definitely seems way too much is going on. I too haven't baked all the cookies I had wanted to make & share. You are definitely way more organized and ready for Christmas than I am. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for the report and recommendations. I like your version of the quilt straight set better than the on point. I sat outside in the cold, snowy Buffalo air to see the USS Little Rock ship be commissioned next to its namesake in our Naval Park on the waterfront (first time in history) today, so after a long nap, I am pretty spent. It was worth it to see the ship come alive with such a dedicated crew.

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, I did get two batches of cookies done but not too much else, and could only hope for Christmas side dishes all prepared and in the freezer! I'd love to watch the video but would need to do so between 2 and 8 am when we have fast Internet. Need the sleep more I guess! Wishing you a lovely Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

For me it seems like a relaxed and easy year without a lot of stress. Of course, being retired now helps a lot!!

Louise said...

Thanks for the video links. I always enjoy listening to and watching a skilled quilter working her magic! My husband thinks I'm crazy for watching, though :)

Mary said...

Happy birthday, Debbie. Enjoy your new technology and thanks for the links.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Happy belated birthday! It has been really busy but somehow I've found myself with a fairly open week to bake and sew--both just for fun--or whatever else I want (not "have") to do to get ready for next weekend. The week before Christmas should always go this way!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the video and pattern links. Happy birthday!!

Sylvia Anderson said...

So happy to hear all is ok with you and a belated Happy Birthday to you. Cookies and pound cakes are all baked and presents wrapped, so I'm taking it easy now and doing nothing. After baking for 7 days straight, it takes awhile for the 81 year old body to recuperate. Definitely not as easy as it used to be. Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...