Friday, February 26, 2010

A bag for Spring

A new bag for spring...
This is a first try, test version.  I love a bag with an outside pocket and hate flaps, and wanted a single strap.  This one is  different from many  patterns I have seen.    The idea is not original to me.     I saw a similar bag on this blog out of Romania.   I measured a bag I had to get the size I wanted to try.  For the pocket piece, I just took a folded piece of paper, placed it on top of the old bag at the center front, and then drew a curve about 1 1/2 inches from the center front top to the side seam.  I thought it looked about right---so it became my pattern piece for the pocket.  The blue floral is heavily quilted and creates the outer pocket on the front side.  I used a bias strip to  finish the edge of the pocket after quilting.   I made the single strap a bit wider than I normally do--about   1 1/2 inches.  The top edge is finished with a band and top stitched down.  I added Velcro for a closure.   On the inside I added a double pocket.  The size is about 10 inches across by 10 1/2 inches high. 
So, even if the weather isn't cooperating, I am thinking Spring.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...