Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creative break

Not a great deal of stitching got done this week....as it is tax time.  I have been in a brain fog of numbers and forms for most of the week.  I managed to get started on Justin's graduation quilt yesterday afternoon and have all the large squares...145 of them cut  for the 9 patch sections.
   Today though I really needed a creative break.  You know, something fun and spontaneous, almost mindless.  Sounded like a Rx for a journal quilt project.   Ingredients used:   solid black  for the background, and leftover bits and pieces of fused fabrics from prior projects, and 3  butterflies from a panel print. 
  Result.....just a hint of Spring!  I positioned the butterflies first and fused them in place.  Then I began creating "blooms"  of color for them by cutting and snipping the fused scraps.  Some green leaves and a few odd pieces were cut to just fill in the areas.  I tried to leave narrow spaces between each piece so that the black would cause all the colors to pop.  I layered the finished top onto batting and backing and stitched/quilted each piece.  Free motion stitching along or near the edge....just enough to hold it all down, and not intended to be perfect for sure.  This mosaic technique  just had to be included in my journal challenges.....a great stress reliever.
Happy stitching,

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like this one. You make it looks so easy!
I have wanted to try this technique and have never gotten around to it. Maybe this year, maybe with a journal quilt.

Kathy said...

Very Nice, like the colors you used.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...