Monday, March 25, 2019

March Round 2


  I mentioned fabric browsing and giving in and buying.  I really liked this paisley print I saw online at the J store site.  I envisioned it as rich pillowcases!  Not my usual but I thought a nice set would update the bedroom look.  We have queen size pillows and those regular cases are just enough too small that I usually remake pillow cases that come with a set of sheets.  And a good cotton fabric gets so soft for snoozing.  
   I got the fabric cut and set to sew last week.  Then spent the weekend pinning my quilt tops.  I had plans to machine quilt a couple of hours each day and work my way thru both tops.  I went ahead and cut up binding even.  Monday morning was still sunny and warm.



  I also started on a set of place mats.  I liked the fabric, it was on big time sale, and would be good for the sun room.  I got 2 sewn, and 2 ready to go.  I will do simple straight line quilting to finish them off.

   On the way to the store for groceries, I noticed how many trees were showing leaves!  And then a couple of hours later, I noticed a headache.  Right over my eye, then behind my eye, I figured it was a sinus headache as the pollen count was rising.


   Tuesday was not very productive as the sinus headache hung on. By that night my face was swelling, and  I could not sleep lying down as the pressure was so bad.  To the doctor asap, and by then my face was showing bruising under the eye.  Major infection, steroids and antibiotics, and on day five I am seeing improvement finally.   The scariest thing was how quickly this infection developed with absolutely no cold or virus before.    My stamina has taken a major hit, and so I am back to working in shorter spurts.  You would think I would quit trying to overdo when I feel good.  Lol.



   But I did manage a bit of sewing therapy yesterday.   I know some people hate string sewing, but it is mindless and relaxing for me.    The bin for floral strings is quite full.  And they are quite small---only 4'' square.  I had a stack of shorter pieces and strips of the foundation shirting I use for string foundations......the largest size I could get out of most of them was 4''.  So that was why the odd/small size is being used.  It is pretty random right now with no design plan.  I figure they can be turned into a small table runner, or wall hanging, or even the base for a tote bag.  For now they are a stop gap for me. 
Happy stitching.   

13 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you hit another bump in the road but glad you are doing better. When you feel good, I totally understand overdoing. After all, we never know how long we'll feel good! Great pillowcases and placemats. I, too, enjoy sewing strings and I should do more of it looking at the baskets of strings around here. I hope this is a great week for you. ~Jeanne

Gene Black said...

Ouch.. it sounds like that sudden infection was truly painful. Sinus headaches are bad enough with no infection.
Rest as needed and don't overdo anything. The mindless sewing is always a good therapy. I love making simple string blocks or improv blocks for therapy or creative block therapy.

sue s said...

So sorry about the infection!
I loved that paisley so much I bought enough to back a queen size quilt. It's pinned, but I haven't started quilting it yet. Soon!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've already had a sinus infection this year (2 rounds of meds to get over it). Not fun. Get better, and keep on stitching.

Sylvia Anderson said...

You sure have your share of hard knocks Debbie, but how can you fault yourself for trying to do what you love, when you are feeling good. It would be different if this came on slowly, but when it just comes and whacks you on the head, it's a different story. Hopefully you are able to stay healthy with the warmer weather coming.

Lynette said...

Wow - that sounds awful! I've never had a sinus infection near bad enough to give you black eyes. So sorry you had to deal with that. I can barely imagine how painful it had to be. Love your sharings, though. These are really pretty placemats for a sunroom.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That hydrangea/butterfly fabric is very pretty, as are the pillow cases. It is so easy to get carried away when feeling better, esp in the spring! So hard to take it slow when the world around is bustling with energy and promise! Glad you got the meds asap--that one sounds like no fun at all! Hope you're able to continue on with the sewing therapy today :o)

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your latest setback, sinus infections are no fun. Glad to hear you're on the mend once again. Your hydrangia-butterfly fabric is similar to some I just picked up online in a different colorway. Those will be wonderful summertime placemats. Your paisley pillowcases are so lovely alongside that quilt! Feel better soon my friend!

MissPat said...

I'm sure your compromised immune system makes you more susceptible to such attacks. Glad to hear you are on the mend. And you never give up which I admire most of all. Love both the pillowcases and the placements. I have the hydrangea/butterfly fabric in a different colorway and hate to cut it up,so placements would be an excellent idea.
Pat

Janet O. said...

So sorry to hear about the infection. I'm glad that you are mending.
Beautiful fabrics--both the pillowcases and the placemats.
I am one of those that does not love string piecing, but I understand the appeal of making something that doesn't require the brain to be in high gear, but satisfies the need to create.

Louise said...

String blocks are soothing and therapeutic! I hope they work their magic on your sinuses quickly :)

Nicki said...

So sorry to hear about your sinus infection. Our oak trees are putting off pollen like you wouldn't believe this year & is giving me fits with allergies. But in spite of that, I am ready for this beautiful spring weather we are having. Now's a good time for you to stock up on string blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

Sorry to read about the sinus infections, boy does it sound nasty! Love your floral string blocks, I think I might pick yup on your idea and use some of my collection of Hoffman florals from years ago. Table runner would look good using these blocks. Hope your strength improves Debbie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...