Saturday, March 23, 2019

Missing March

  After a call last night from a friend, I realized I had been missing for  a month.  I found a draft of this post I began the first of the month with just a photo of a test block.  No words, just the block photo.
   I vaguely remember trying to figure out something I saw or that someone asked me about, yet the rest is blank.    I think it was a response to a question after the last post in Feb. about the Scrappy Rails  layout using squares instead of the rectangles.  So, yes, it can be done with the same or similar design effect.



  The winter weather has factored a lot into my energy level, along with pain level.  We went thru almost 3 full weeks of rain, more rain, and then more and a series of low pressure systems that rocked my world.  I had ordered backing fabric for 2 quilt tops to work on this month.  But before they arrived, I had an attack of sciatica nerve inflammation.  That is to say from the small of the back and hip area, over the buttocks, and down the leg.
  One morning I could not even roll out of bed and I was locked into this pain for 2 weeks.  If I found a position I could tolerate, I did not move.  You can guess how little I moved. 
  Let me preface this with some background.  Much like MS, the Pernicious Anemia I have is a demyelinating nerve disease.     Thousands of miles of nerves are sheathed with myelin in our bodies, for protection and aid in conduction of nerve impulses.  Trust me....things go haywire without this protection.
 
   Anyway....I went onto OTC ibuprofen alternating with Tylenol and dug out the physical therapy stretches  for sciatic nerve.  The stretches are simple, and easy, but very painful at first.  Several days passed before I could do more than 2 or 3 at a time.   The weather cleared and I woke up one morning and could walk!
  I can't really say what did the trick, but for the first time in 12 days I walked down the hall to the sewing room!  I took it easy for a few days to be sure I wasn't dreaming, but made plans to get something done this month.   The weather predicted 9 straight days of warmer temps and sunny days.  I could go for that.


    I had 2 quilts to pin and ready for quilting.  So that was my focus for a couple of days.  They are stacked by Hot Legs....soon I hope.
   It was also time to change out a couple of wall hangings for something  little more spring time.  I found this one from 2012, made while participating in an early version of Project Quilting.  I don't remember the challenge, but know this was based on a photo of a Pasque flower I took in Alaska.  The colors make we happy so I hung it in the office for some springtime color.

   I spotted some fabric while browsing on line.....held myself back for a day.  Then gave in and ordered it.  No sooner than it arrived and I cut into it, did the second round of my March  madness happen. 
  And that's a story for the next post.    Because today I need some machine time.  Therapy for me.  Happy stitching.

16 comments:

Louise said...

Such a pretty wall hanging! I'm so sorry to hear that the weather has caused such a bad flare up for you. Crossing fingers and toes that it stays warm and keeps your pain away!

Ray and Jeanne said...

It's wonderful to see you back with us. I'm so sorry that you've had such a tough time and I pray that you start having an easier, less painful time. I'm a big believer that weather plays a big part in our aches and pains. You have sure had more than your share. Take care and happy quilting. ~Jeanne

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm so sorry to hear how much you've been under the weather lately. I know how painful that is, having some disc deterioration and spinal stenosis. The sciatica has settled into one part of my leg and never goes away now, thankfully the ibuprophen does help. Here's to sunny dry days ahead! Love your purple spring hanging too!

Gene Black said...

The older I get the more I realize how our bodies are in tune with the weather systems. I am glad you are better for now- and I hope it lasts a while.

MissPat said...

Your Pasque Flower wall hanging is beautiful. My favorite color, of course, but I also like how you offset the flower. Hoping the weather improves for all of us and that you can get back to creating wonderful designs.
Pat

Sylvia Anderson said...

Mother Nature doesn't always play nice with us, and I know how painful the dramatic barometric ups and downs can be for the human body, but I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better Debbie. I hope, for both our sakes that the sun, along with the increase in temperature, will bring relief to all those suffering from such problems. I love your beautiful wall hanging, especially since the flower is in shades of purple.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I had noticed you were quiet and have been thinking of you. Sorry it's been rough; I have all the hip, leg nerve pain, all the way into my toes (esp in winter)so I can empathize there but i do not have the other complications so can only imagine. I wish warm weather and lots of sewing therapy for you! Sunny days ahead! That's a beautiful little flower :o)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I was scared when I did not read anything from you. I am so sorry for all you went through in the past month. I hope your weather improves. We fought a snowstorm last night coming home from friends an hour and a half away. I love the block. I just got some new floral scraps from someone and this will be perfect. Take care of yourself and do some sewing therapy.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I certainly can relate to the weather affecting health - seeing how conditions were in your are, I knew you were not well.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice wall hanging. The man I work for (I'm a part time caregiver) has had bad effects from all the grey skies and rain. We finally had some sun on Friday. I'm hoping that it helps. Hope you get some relief soon, too.

Nicki said...

Hoping for bright, sunny days to help you feel better. I absolutely love your springtime wall hanging. That's such a beautiful flower & you have such gorgeous ways of putting things together like no one else I've ever seen. I can just feel a soft breeze that is blowing your Pasque flower in an Alaskan meadow. You are such an artist! Happy sewing & praying for good days ahead.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm so happy you are up and around and back in the sewing room. It is such good therapy. We have had a long end to winter too and I'm hoping for warm weather soon.

Barb Neiwert said...

Oh my goodness, these bodies of ours! So sorry you have such a terrible condition to deal with. And glad you find your sewing room to be therapeutic - the wallhanging is so pretty!

Mary said...

So good you are posting again! I've been thinking about you. Hope you continue to improve. Enjoy your machine therapy. It works for me too.

Janet O. said...

Debbie, I know you are ever trying to make the best of what life has handed you. Sorry you have had a rough time of it recently. You are always in my prayers, my friend.
That is a beautiful wall hanging. Love the colors, and your pretty quilting.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better - winter weather is bad enough without the aches and pains it seems to bring with it. Your wall hanging is the perfect touch of Spring - and I love your little floral block! - ;))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...