Sunday, September 1, 2019

September begins....

Image may contain: plant, sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and natureI am starting the month with 2 finishes from August.    Oops, not quite  true.  Ok, I am starting at zero and here are two finishes from August.  I am blaming my fuzzy head to the nice weather.

    It has been a beautiful few days.  We rode up to the Mountains on Thursday and went to the apple orchard.  Justus Orchard is a great spot for that.  I love seeing the new trees loaded with apples.  And the car smelled so good on the drive back.  My labor tomorrow will be making a batch of apple bread.



 This small quilt is the  Crossroads pattern  from Connie at Freemotion by the River.  It is a simple and fun project.  I use 2'' strips in many projects.  And any leftover strips are often cut down to 3 1/2'' by 2'' pieces  and set aside.   That is how I had the variety for this project.
  I cut the larger squares at 3 1/2'' and dove into the 3 1/2'' pile to put this one together.




    I had enough of the light blue backing to piece for this.  I used a light cream thread for quilting.  Quilting motif is  a meander swirl with a hook.   Here's the diagram.

free quilting diagrams for the surfers point quilt


  The motif is from Quilting is my Therapy....but the link is broken which means I can't give you a direct link to it.  My quilting is similar...not exactly like it, but it was my inspiration.   Size is 36'' by 54''.   Binding scrappy style with 4 different fabrics used.



    This one was pulled out of the closet...or the lost top vault!  I do not even remember when I pieced it.  Some wonky stars blocks were mixed together with odd spacing.  My squares are 3'' finished, and almost all of them fall into the dark value category.  I think that is why it has or was hidden away.  Just a mixed up hodge podge of fabrics. 








  Simple meandering/stippling for the quilting .  I used a teal color Aurifil as it seemed to blend rather than stand out.   Except on the stars.....I only quilted them in the center square.  I just did a gentle curve around the center square and a curl in the center using light cream Aurifil thread. 



   Here's an edge in the corner....binding is not scrappy here.  Although it may appear to be, it is one fabric with colored stripes alternating between purple and teal.  Seemed to just fit the need.  It was a fabric that was hard to use and had been around way too long. 





   And that's the ending to August.
   I have the lattice block quilt pinned now and waiting to be quilted.  I haven't had an inspiration for the quilting motif on it yet.  So I will go back thru my motif journal and see what hits me. 
  Happy stitching. 

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Such pretty quilts...nice work hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

Two done and one ready for quilting. You are really on a roll! Both quilts are lovely. Is your area at any risk from the hurricane?

Nicki said...

So glad you were able to make a trip to the apple orchard. I've never seen "real" apple trees before & they are gorgeous. Making apple bread is a great way to spend Labor Day.
Your two new finished quilts are really pretty. I remember you making that wonky star top. I did a search for it on your blog & it was back on June 19, 2017. So happy that you finished it. It turned out really pretty.
Stay safe....Hurricane Dorian is so unpredictable right now.

Linda Swanekamp said...

So glad to see some quilts! I just finished some very small ones that had to get hung in a show today, so I am tired. My daughter's husband proposed to her in an apple orchard. He put a phony velvet apple in the bushel they were picking. When she saw it and opened it, it was her ring. We have tons of apples around here because Lake Ontario keeps the weather even for fruit. Lots of peaches also.

celia ambrose said...

Love your quilts, and the binding on the 2nd one is just perfect. I really like the darker value wonky star quilt. Several years ago, while visiting my son and his family in Ohio, I found an apple orchard while driving to a nearby Amish town. It was heavenly to smell the car and then make apple pie later on. I even packed some apples in my suitcase to fly home with Ohio apples.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Great finishes but definitely different from the florals I usually see you do! So glad you've had some nice weather. I'm hoping you don't feel the effects of Hurricane Dorian. Enjoy that apple bread. ~Jeanne

Mystic Quilter said...

Two lovely finished Debbie - two more than I have!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Great finishes and a little more room in the closet. It's good to use up all of those short ends of 2" strips. I have quite a collection of them right now.

Gene Black said...

The crossroads quilt is quite pretty and looks more complicated than it is.
I really like the dark quilt with the pop of the stars on it. It reminds me of the night skies.

MissPat said...

I made a baby quilt from the Crossroads pattern using 4 different low volume fabrics for the larger neutral blocks because I didn't have enough of any one fabric. It turned out great and Gene is right, it looks more complicated than it is. Our apple harvest should be starting very soon. Nothing like a crisp fresh apple.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

I love both of these happy scrappy quilts! I so wish that I could get the hang of that swirl-hook design. Have attempted it many times but always get hung up or boxed into a corner. It is a beautiful quilting design though and you do it wonderfully. I hope you folks aren't in the path of the hurricane.

Louise said...

Cute finishes, Debbie! It's nice to tick a few off the list, isn't it? I'll have to remember that random star layout. It's fun :)

Janet O. said...

Two great finishes, Debbie. Thanks for sharing how you quilted them, too. I especially love the deep colors in the second one.
Apple bread sounds good. Oh, I just remembered I have some banana bread in the freezer. I guess that will have to do. :)

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Both are just beautiful quilts--fun and scrappy, great finishes. Hubs and I are planning on meeting our daughters, SIL and grandson at the apple orchard this weekend--fingers crossed for mild weather.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on some finishes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...