Thursday, October 24, 2019

From the workshop---Window Bench

    Even though I seem to have been asleep here lately, Sir Old Man finished a project recently.  The window bench  to match the bed.  You can see it is already being used :)
  We made the trek to the apple orchard last week with a short stop at Foam and Fabric  to find  fabric to  cover the seat cushion.    I found some fabric too....but I will save that for another time.
 






 On to the details......


  The wood is cherry to match the bed.  No stain was used, instead he fumes the wood.  The natural wood reacts with the ammonia and darkens to a rich patina in a few days.  Then a sealing finish is hand rubbed in and sanded down.  In this case, 3 times. 
   The stretcher bars have a slight curve at the base, and the end slats are wide. 







   I love the small detail he added to the end of the end post.  It's a much softer effect than just squared off.  Sir Old Man adjusted the original pattern to fit the space under the window.  And before anyone asks the original pattern is from Wood magazine October 2010.  No idea is the pattern is available anywhere else.   










 
  This photo is probably the truest color for both the wood and the cushion.  The cushion is 2'' high density foam wrapped in a double layer of batting.  It is stapled to a 1/2'' piece of plywood which is screwed to the frame. 

  So.....ta-da!  A beautiful addition once again from the woodworking shop of Sir Old Man. 



22 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

My husband bought me a Morris Chair from Stickley that is the same color. It has a footstool I got later. It is my favorite chair and probably the most expensive piece of furniture I own. Your bench is so beautiful. My husband has a woodshop, but he has been too busy to do much. I keep requesting a quilt ladder. I even gave him mulitple tutorials. I do have an oak frame that holds a silkscreen print of sunflowers that was fumed by the artist's husband. The color is just fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Quilting Babcia said...

Sir Old Man is a master craftsman of the highest order. Just exquisite!

diane said...

Oh my, how absolutely beautiful and so I had to go back and see the bed which had your lovely quilt on and all I can say is beautiful one more time. Sir Old Man knows about wood like you do quilting. Lovely pair you two must make!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

That is gorgeous! Sir Old Man is a master carpenter! I love the details, especially the top of the endposts. If the guy needs a 'vacation', he can come here for a while; I have a list of carpentry projects 😊 ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is a lovely addition to your home. You each of your niche in mastery.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

And Beautiful it is!!

KatieQ said...

The bench is wonderful. The fabric on the seat works beautifully with the wood finish.

Mystic Quilter said...

I always enjoy seeing a piece of furniture made by your husband come up on your blog posts. Your window bench is a beauty, I agree with your comment on the details at the end of the end post, a lovely tactile appearance and I just love the way he's curved those stretcher bars . Lucky you!!!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely and useful! That makes a wonderful piece. You both are very talented.

Mary said...

Oh, Debbie, this is beautiful. Your hubby has out done himself again.

Barbara said...

That is simply lovely. What a cozy place to sit and birdwatch, or whatever. Sir Old Man is very talented.

Gene Black said...

I love to see the finished woodworking projects. I wish I had that skill. but I just have to choose to be happy with the skills that I have.
That bench is gorgeous.

MissPat said...

Another beautiful furniture piece from your very talented husband. His joy in working with wood shines through every piece he makes. You two are the perfect match.
Pat

Nicki said...

I love that beautiful bench that Sir Old Man has made. His work is total perfection. I like the subtle special features that he always adds to his pieces...like in this piece the slightly curved stretcher bars & the detailed end posts. I'm always in awe of everything he makes. Thanks so much for sharing his talent with us.

Auntiepatch said...

Once again, great job, Sir Old Man!

Kerry said...

Wow! Super job. My husband is no handyman/craftsman at all! A tad jealous! LOL!

Sam said...

Exceptional. Beautiful. Well done. Amazing. Wow! Just a few thoughts that come to mind.

Louise said...

Beautiful piece! Sir Old Man did a fine job :)

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous, Debbie! You are lucky to have such a skilled craftsman to help furnish your home with such beautiful pieces! I am drooling over this one, as I have the others. :)

Diane said...

Beautiful bench, sir old man is so talented

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Beautiful as always. Noticed the post detail immediately. Nice job!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The bench is lovely, as is the bed. What a handy man to have around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...