Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Looking for motivation

  I am beginning the month of July, looking for motivation.  Hoping for inspiration too!   The month of June was very slow, and non-productive.   So I was very happy to see Bonnie Hunter post a new leader and ender challenge for the year today.     Just in the nick of time for me....and it is squares which I have tons of :)
  I have been doing some simple sewing and I mean really simple for June.  

 I found a project sheet saved from somewhere years ago, and decided to sew up batiks.  I have lots of batik scraps and a huge envelop of charm squares.  I know I won a couple of packs years back and never used them.    The original design had everything lined up so that the inset strips matched up.  So for a couple of reasons I decided to flip the arrangement in pairs.
  First, this is a scrappy mix of batiks....each side of the brick is not always the same fabric.  I tried to be close in color and value when possible.  My goal was to use up all the charm squares in the baggie.  
  Second, visually for me the mixed version was more interesting, not as modern looking.  The arrangement seems to keep the eye moving, so the unmatched fabrics are not as noticeable.  It reminds me of the old madras plaid look.  
  I have another couple of rows of bricks to sew and press before I begin to join it all together.  That's why I was happy for the new leader and ender.    
  While the weather is better and I am having less pain, I hope to make a dent in prepping the leader and enders  before beginning the assembly.  

    On Facebook, the challenge is going around this month to share a quilt each day for 10 days.  And to name and challenge another to do the same. No details or such required just quilt photos.  Sure makes the world a prettier place....lol.   I am on day 3 of sharing .   Just an idea to pass on that others might want to try in their areas.

 The fragrant Lilies are in bloom right now.  It is heavenly to catch a whiff of them as you walk past.     The blooms are huge and so pretty.

 I am trying the new Blogger....not sure I like it.  Why the change?  Oh, well, new and improved it not always better.  
Happy stitching. 

12 comments:

Mary said...

Your batik blocks look like a relaxing and fun project. Most blooming flowers are finished in our area, except for a few heat and drought tolerant varieties.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the mix of batiks. Sort of like the combos in my UFO I am working on, Tidal Pool, but I have improv curves. I went back to Legacy Blogger as I only have so much energy. I could seriously use a big jump start lately. I have Asiatic lilies, no smell, but great flowers that are opening this week.

---"Love" said...

Seems your motivation with that project has gone well! Now I need a dose of motivation too. Maybe tomorrow? Your lilies are gorgeous!---"Love"

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm always looking for ideas to use up my batik scraps, so your newest venture is of great interest. So happy to hear that you have been feeling better with the warmer weather. So very hard to stay motivated with anything these days, it seems all I want to do is sleep. New blogger has a big learning curve, but so many bloggers simply wonder Why? The old blogger had best stay around for awhile so we can keep fixing things that mess up in the new version.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Fragrant lilies sound wonderful. I know Easter Lilies are fragrant but wasn't aware of any others. Too bad I don't want to go to the garden center and look around. Maybe next year.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Interesting piece with the Batiks. The Day Lillies are blooming away here. I've yet to try the NEW blogger - will hang on to the bitter end.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I like your collection of batik scraps and I love what you are doing with them. I hope you find the motivation and inspiration you are seeking. Mine comes and goes during this very strange time.The new blogger is different - I find myself searching for things and my posts take longer. One of these days I may have it figured out. Hang in there. ~Jeanne

Gene Black said...

Motivation and inspiration are usually found when you are working. (according to some famous artist- i don't remember which one.)

I like your version better than the original "all lined up" one. And I usually liked madras plaids too.

I tried the "New" blogger and went back to the old one. I see they have changed the default statement from "end of June" to "In July" so I wonder if there are issues they are trying to resolve.

Louise said...

Simple blocks are the name of the game these days! That, and putting together old UFOs and orphans that just need some sashing or borders or both. Nothing fussy. Thanks for the heads-up on the new leader/enders; I'll go check that out.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Glad to hear pain has lessened. Haven't tried new blogger but I guess I'll have to. The lilies are beautiful! Maybe they should end up in a quilt?!?

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice move to use two different batiks in the bricks. I have been studying the photo for a few moments and yes, I definitely see a similarity to the Madras Plaid, which I believe is difficult to find these days. I can imagine the scent from the lilies, always a joy when they're in flower.

Janet O. said...

That is a great way to use your batik scraps. I think I prefer your version to straight lines all the way down.
The lilies look beautiful! I can pretend I can smell them. :)
Motivation and love of the new blogger seem to be in short supply throughout much of blogland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...