Friday, October 30, 2015

Friday Finds...recipes

   Just to tempt your taste buds, I thought I would switch things up a bit.  Quilters have to eat, too.

The Amazing Amish Cinnamon Bread Alternative.  No kneading, you just mix it up and bake it!:  
Amish Cinnamon Bread from Redfly....recipe here.   I have made this one several times and it is good!  I cut the recipe in half when I am in a hurry/ or short on ingredients.    Otherwise, the second loaf freezes well once cooled.  











Mennonite Girls Can Cook:
From Mennonite Girls Can Cook
  I love the recipes I find at Mennonite Girls Can Cook.....here is one for a stuffed pork loin.  I plan on trying this soon---maybe without the sauce, as I picked up a pork loin on sale this week.
Be sure to check out their recipe index while there.....so many things.   If you make cinnamon buns, they have an excellent recipe.  So good!




I mentioned I made apple bread last week and the house smelled wonderful.  I forgot to take photos before putting/ hiding them in the freezer.  Sir Old Man can devour a whole loaf in a day!   But I thought I would share the recipe.  Be forewarned, it takes a while to put together and an hour or so to bake (depending on the size pan you use).    The original recipe I found is from 1982 Southern Living cookbook.....Fresh Apples Loaf----we just call it Apple Bread!

4 cups peeled, grated apples
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
  •  Peel apples.......I like Red Rome apples.  Once peeled, I give them a dunk in a  lemon  and water bath----about 4 C water with 2-3 tablespoons of lemon  juice until ready to grate.  It keeps them from turning brown.
  • Grate the apples.   I use a large food processor to speed up the process and save  my fingers. 
  • Place grated apples, raisins, and sugar in large bowl.  Stir and allow to sit about an hour for the juices to run.
3 C of all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Sift all dry ingredients together.
2 eggs
1 cup butter.....2 sticks, melted
2 teaspoon vanilla
  •   Once the juices have run from the grated apples, add the dry ingredients.  Mix well.  
  • Add vanilla, butter and eggs.  Mix well.
Grease 2 loaf pans----9'' by 5''.   Spoon the batter into the pan and bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  
  
If I make smaller size loaves, I  check to see if done at 45 minutes for the mini loaf pans, and at 1 hour for the mid-size loaf pan.   I use a long wooden skewer to check to see if done....as this recipe is dense and moist.  I like Red Rome apples, and I use a food processor for the grating to speed up the process.

As always, please visit the sites for pinning.

   It's errand day and my list is calling.  I added "candy" to the list, just in case a couple of costumed goblins show up.   If not, the resident mischief maker will have some sweets to snack on.  She loves candy corn  :)
Happy stitching.

3 comments:

Dolores said...

How big is your Birds in the Air quilt in the previous post?

Dana Gaffney said...

That Amish Bread looks wonderful, I went right over and pinned it because I read "with Redfly" which sounds like something I don't want in my bread, LOL. Too early and now I'm hungry.

Janet O. said...

Wish I could make that bread. Looks really yummy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...