Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Is this working?

   I added the two rounds for the border on this vertical strip quilt.  The first one stops the design and the second makes it float.....but seems so boring.  Or it could be that I have just made too many this way.
   So my thought was to add some  applique in the final border.  As I had extra small pieces left over, I applied fusible to them.  I cut different sizes of the plume shape.










  I began to pin them in the lower corner to create a vine type shape.  I cut a few more and moved them all around.












  I had to fold up the lower part of the top to get to the corner without sitting on the floor......that's why you see the fold.
  Anyway, here's what I have pinned on so far.  My question......is this working?  I like that it softens the vertical pattern and is unexpected.   The mixed plumes can move the color and the eye out to the edge instead of staying focused on the center/vertical lines.

 My thought at this point is to create sprays in the four corners leaving some open space on each side.  I am not sure why I am doubting myself on this one.   Maybe I just need some more time in the sun.....the rain has finally stopped.  I think I will just keep playing.
Happy stitching.  

15 comments:

Janet said...

I really like the addition. It softens it as you say and adds some interest in the form of curves amongst all the straight lines.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I do love the spray of plume shapes for the corner.

Jasmine said...

I really like it, but I like the first picture of the plumes better. It keeps the emphasis on the vertical direction while softening it. Plus having it taller than wide is fun and unexpected.

Ray and Jeanne said...

OK, now I know where I got the idea to make this quilt! Mine is finished but I love your appliqué! Your plumes are a wonderful addition. ~Jeanne

Mary said...

I definitely like the addition of the plumes!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your appliqué definitely adds to the quilt - softens all the straight lines.

Jenny said...

Yes - do leave the plumes in, so pretty!

Janet O. said...

I really like the plumes. I might be tempted to just put them in two corners, diagonally across from each other. Just a thought. : )

Sheila said...

I like the plumes! The first picture of plumes more than the second. I love the quilt.

Lauren said...

Wonderful. It creates interest in the corners. Great job

Dana Gaffney said...

You're so funny, I liked the quilt plain and figured you would pretty it up with feathers, but no, you needed real feathers, LOL. I like them and it's a good way to stay out of the weather. I just saw the latest news about the dams, it looks bad up there.

Stitchin At Home said...

I think it adds just the right touch of softness to the top.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Hi Debbie....I think the plumes are just the ticket to give the quilt a touch of class, kind of like a beautiful accessory to top off the simple lines of a basic dress. I'm going to copy this for use on a couple of quilts that could use that little something extra. Thanks so much for sharing with us. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

Auntiepatch said...

I like the plumes but maybe on only two corners......

Laura said...

i like the plumes, but think they could be in stronger colors, like the reds that are in the quilt itself. Love your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...