Friday, July 27, 2018

Stabilized by a border

    On my list for the week was to join the string blocks for the Spider Web, and to add the first border to stabilize the top.
  I cut a 3 1/2'' strip of the various black and white prints for that first border.  I just wanted to mix them up like I did for the "star" parts.

  Once the rows were joined I measured--twice--both top and bottom to check the width.  37''---right as it should be.  That was easy, so I cut the correct measurement for top and bottom and got them attached.  I held my breath as I stitched.....strings are notorious for growing  every minute they are free.

  Then I measured sides.....sure enough one side was expanding as I looked at it.  That side was gaining weight faster than I can eat chocolate.  It was 3/4'' larger on the second measurement.  So I took the average of both sides and cut the borders at  57''.   Quick to the machine and tame those bias edges.  Deep sigh of relief when all came out evenly.
    For some people bias may behave nicely, and just lie there all sleepy and relaxed, but I have never had such good fortune land on my sewing table.  So I generally have to work harder to get even sides/borders etc. when working with bias.


   Now, I can finish up the stringy piano keys style border.  One tip here that I learned the hard way when making coin strips.
  Work in short sections of about 12'' - 15''.   Trim and even up the sides, top and bottom of strip section.  Then move on to joining the sections together for the needed length.  This tip will keep your border straighter instead of curving or listing to one side like a drunken sailor!
    I have enough sections for 3 sides, just a few more to stitch.









      But first, I need to match up some more leader/enders!   I almost emptied  what I had prepared, just 4 triangles left to stitch together.     The blue bin was full of  parts to sew as L/E while making the border and joining the blocks of the Spider Web. 









So I will add to the list to press the 4 patches and HSTs, and match up some more.

  Here is one quarter section for the Jewel Box Star that is the new L/E.  I couldn't resist trying at least one section to see how it would look.   Should be a surprise!

Happy stitching. 


9 comments:

Gene Black said...

Very good tip about the piano key/coin strips. I have been doing mine in shorter pieces just because it is easier to trim and store that way. But it does keep away the "curve monster" too.

Mary said...

I struggle with bias edges too, but sometimes using them is unavoidable. Your new L/E project will be pretty.

Barbara said...

Looks like you’re having fun. When I watch what you and Sharon V do with your scraps, it makes me want to tackle a scrap quilt. I’m really working this summer on finishing up some of my other projects, so maybe that’ll be my New Year’s Resolution...or my word of the year...or something...”Be scrappy.”

Janet O. said...

You always have such solid tips for those of us who are new to some of your techniques. I have never made a piano key border, but now I know how to go about it when I do!

Louise said...

Great tip on the piano keys and coin strips! Your spiderweb should be much better behaved now that you've contained all those bias edges. They really are a double-edged sword. Sometimes that stretchiness is just what you need, but often they do grow like Topsy :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Kudos to you for adding those borders correctly!! Great tip on the strippy borders to keep them straight.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

“Gaining weight faster than I can eat chocolate”! Lol 😂 Lookin’ good!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

To make my borders fit correctly, I have to pin, pin, pin. Not fun, especially since it aggravates my tendinitis. Worth it in the end. That is going to be a really nice quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so late to the party with reading blog posts!! I'm a fan of piano key borders and yours are perfect for the Spiders!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...