Friday, August 31, 2018

Ending August ....bowled over

  Around here we wait for the end of August.  The last high humid days linger yet we know they will be gone soon.   Nothing much goes on until a cool crisp morning arrives as an early signal.  Coffee on the back porch to enjoy a little time before the day begins.  I hear the wind chimes and notice the Writing Spider has begun her annual task of web spinning.  All things say fall is near.



 So with that in mind, I have been making bowls.....lots of rope bowls for gifts.  I am quite sure the guys at our local Ace Hardware think I must be washing a lot of clothes, but not so.  I am making gifts to give.   I finally think I have the technique down and a system that works for me.  This is the "naked bowl version".....Sir Old Man laughs at my nickname for these.

Here's the link I used....Rope Bowl .






 Fully wrapping the rope  with fabric strings was killing my hands and upping the pain level.  So I found this version where  only short scraps are wrapped at intervals.  It gives an interesting design and really short bits can be used.
  I also figured out the loop at the end is the best for me.  It is very easy and looks good.  I used neutral thread ---top and bottom.  The zig zag setting that works best for me, my machine and this cording is 4.8 wide and 1.8 long stitch.



 
   And in the mail....a squishy envelop from Nicki of Texas!   She was a wonderful support when the doll quilts were being made for Mrs. Claus.
A wonderful surprise.   A lovely fat quarter of fabric that she loved, and held onto.    She said she hated to cut into it, but wanted someone to love and use it .   I am glad to be the one who will use it!








  Matter of fact, I intend to cut a strip to use in my leader and ender project.  Here are some of the units I have so far.  This is Bonnie Hunter's Jewel Box Star for this year.     












 So I am ending the month with one finish.
I shared it here earlier this month.....The Distant View.

And baskets have been made....with probably 2 more to do.

The Spider Web top is complete and on a hanger for the future.

I did not pin or quilt the Garlic Knots top....maybe in September.

 I have bread to make for the freezer,  as well as a loaf to eat.  Visitors are expected throughout the month  so I plan on baking and freezing a couple of meals.  I find it necessary to plan ahead as I am still having a challenge continually with my balance.  It limits my walking and standing .  That explains why I over do on good days.
Happy stitching.

12 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the bowls with just a hint of color scattered throughout. Very effective! That black fabric is much like one in my stash, and like your friend, I've been hesitant to cut into it. Its day will come, I hope! Enjoy your cooler weather when it arrives. We had a break in the heat and humidity for a couple days but its trending upward again. A few trees are beginning to show some color though, so the glorious days of fall will soon be here.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your almost naked bowls. I may have to try one. Your floral Jewel Box blocks are looking fabulous.

Barbara said...

I love your rope bowls. Very clever to use just a little fabric. My hands have improved significantly (along with the rest of my body) from chronic pain of just a few years ago. I always wondered whether the bowls would be hard on hands, and so I never gave them a try. Maybe your almost naked ones will inspire me.

Nicki said...

I love, love, love those almost naked bowls! They remind me of something the Aztecs would make in pottery. They are so much cleaner & neater than the ones fully wrapped (with the little strings hanging off of them). So glad you will be able to use that fat quarter. We too look forward to the end of August. Today we woke up to 77 deg. weather which is a real treat. Now we are waiting for the long neck honkers (geese) to fly over & then we will know we are out of summer! Enjoy your day!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Naked bowl is a great name! I think a lot of people will like these better than the ones totally wrapped with fabric. It gives just a hint of color which is so popular today in decorating.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your bowls are fantastic as is their name! I'm ready for the cooler days but not cold ones. Enjoy September. ~Jeanne

LA Paylor said...

as much as I like color, I love your quiet bowls!! What a beautiful statement just a bit of color adds. And the leader ender project is really pretty with your florals. I want to investigate that now.
Great post

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Love those bowls. I still haven't ever made any. Most of my machines are straight stitch, and I seldom pull out the zig zag machines.

Mary said...

It's been fun watching our bowl-making technique evolve. I really like the small sections of fabric wrapping. We're looking forward to cooler days too.

Janet O. said...

Really, really like the naked bowls, with just a random scrap of color here and there!
How smart you are to plan ahead for gift giving. I know you must pace yourself, but you follow through in ways many of us only think about doing.
Oh, I am sorry that you continue to struggle with balance issues. Will keep you in my prayers, as always!

Mystic Quilter said...

Super, super rope bowls!! The pops of colour are wonderful. I'm so pleased to see that you finished up The Distant View, it's a beauty. I'm with you on the planning ahead Debbie, always good to have something on hand for when things are not going well on the health side.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful bowls and what a great name for them! I still haven't made one but should!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...