Thursday, August 9, 2018

Looking for floral fabrics?

   I had emails asking about my floral fabric collection/stash.   I have been collecting a long, long time, so many fabrics I have are not available.  While floral prints are not the rage, there are some available.  I am going to steal a few photos of fabrics to give you an idea.


From Connecting Threads:


  While this collection looks promising, really there are only 3 or 4 fabrics that I could collect for a water color quilt project. 

1.  A good swirl with light background.
2. Large floral with some  greenish background .   This        should work.
 3 and 4 are the same print.  Both have a light background.  The green one will be a good one to bridge from a medium value area to light.  The creamy one will be a good light value with little contrast. 

If you click on the link to the website you can view the rest of the collection.  Remember I avoid anything that is dotted or looks dotted from a distance, and I avoid red backgrounds  and tonals too. 

Botanical Blooms collection looked good at first glance....until I clicked on a larger view.  Too many dots and tonals.  I did see one print, but no yardage available for it. 











From the QuiltedTwins.com.....

Botanical Society Medium Allover by Fabri-Quilt Discount Cotton Quilting Fabric by the Yard
This is a wonderful print from Fabri-Quilt.  Large and small flowers with background that will blend well.  I think I need to order more of this as I use it a lot.  And it is only $4.99!


May 22, 2018 - Fabric-4183.jpg
  An old fashioned style print that is a good dark.....dark background with small colorful blooms works well in everything.   Maybe an older Cranston print, but it still works.   There are several others here, and I love the good prices :)
   As I run across good fabrics, I will try to share the links.   Thanks for the questions. 

  No sewing this week....baking, and other stuff, but tomorrow looks clear.  Could be just me and the machine.  Happy stitching.

6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for the recommendations. It is tough to build a collection. Many look good until I really look at the imagined cut sizes in them. I got a couple at equilter last week, hummingbird bouquet. I am on a vacation and hit up the little quilt store in Inlet, NY. They said they can't sell florals. I bought some on closeout that would not sell. Can't get blogger to work on the iPad, so I will post photos to come.

Mary said...

There is a real art to choosing fabrics and I always appreciate your advice.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Such a different way of looking at fabrics for these type of quilts. The more I quilt, the more I get into color play. Fascinating.

MissPat said...

Thanks Debbie, for the suggestions. You better go order that floral from the Quilted twins before your followers beat you to it. I need to pull out my light floral box and search through it again.
Pat

Nicki said...

Thanks for all the info on what to look for in florals. You've taught me so much over the years & I thank you for that! You are just a wealth of information & I'm so thankful that you are willing to share it with us.

Mystic Quilter said...

I can see why you would find the Fabri-Quilt print ideal for your watercolour quilts, lots of interesting flowers for fussy cutting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...