Saturday, October 27, 2018

Apple Bread recipe

Be forewarned, it takes a while to put together and an hour or so to bake (depending on the size pan you use).    The original recipe I found is from 1982 Southern Living cookbook.....Fresh Apple Loaf----we just call it Apple Bread!



4 cups peeled, grated apples
1/2 cup raisins---optional
1 cup sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
  •  Peel apples.......I like Red Rome apples.  Once peeled, I give them a dunk in a  lemon  and water bath----about 4 C water with 2-3 tablespoons of lemon  juice until ready to grate.  It keeps them from turning brown.  Drain before grating.
  • Grate the apples.   I use a large food processor to speed up the process and save  my fingers. 
  • Place grated apples, raisins, and sugar in large bowl.  Stir and allow to sit about an hour for the juices to run.
3 C of all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Sift all dry ingredients together.
2 eggs
1 cup butter.....2 sticks, melted
2 teaspoon vanilla
  •   Once the juices have run from the grated apples, add the dry ingredients.  Mix well.  
  • Add vanilla, butter and eggs.  Mix well.
Grease 2 loaf pans----9'' by 5''.   Spoon the batter into the pan and bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  
  
If I make smaller size loaves, I  check to see if done at 45 minutes for the mini loaf pans, and at 1 hour for the mid-size loaf pan.   I use a long wooden skewer to check to see if done....as this recipe is dense and moist. 
   These loaves freeze well.  I wrap them in fold and then bag in ziplock type bag.  Perfect served warmed and for breakfast or snack.
Enjoy!


12 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

This sounds wonderful One more thing to add to my to-do list! I already have apples. Thanks! ~Jeanne

Mary said...

I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

alice budney said...

This is my kind of cake.. can't wait to get some time to make it!




Janet O. said...

I feel like I can smell the aroma of this baking. :)

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Sounds wonderful! I make something similar. It is always better the next day. I don’t know why. My kids would always eat it right out of the oven. But they always commented about it being better the second day! Yours sounds wonderful! Hmmm, your post made me hungry for this. Must be this time of year and the nostalgia of baking for my family! I need to try this recipe!

Quilting Babcia said...

Mmm, this sounds wonderful! It would be perfect to take to quilting ministry!

Barbara said...

Yum! Setting this one aside to try soon!

Lynn said...

Sounds delicious! Do you drain the juices, or do they get mixed in?

Debbie said...

Lynn, you are a no reply commenter. Please link your email to receive replies when you comment.
No, the juices are the liquid in the recipe so they get mixed in.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing this!

Nicki said...

Oh that recipe looks so good I can almost smell it over the internet! I'm saving this one for a nice cool fall day. Do you put anything on top....glaze? DH is not real fond of raisins but I bet it would taste good substituted with pecans. Thanks for this great looking bread recipe.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

It looks great and I plan to try the recipe. Hope you enjoy the fall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...