Thursday, October 11, 2018

This week and another hurricane

   Not a lot of sewing done as I have been waiting to get my eye exam done.  My old glasses were just not helping and quilting is made difficult when you can't focus :)   So the exam went okay....new doctor because my very reliable doctor has retired....sure am missing him.  And new glasses are ordered for reading.  At the optometry section, Scott suggested low mag generic readers for watching TV or driving......tada!  They work great and saved me money.  Just waiting on the close work reading glasses to come in. 
 
 
 In compensation, I pulled out a small set of string blocks.  These are a mixed batch of 8'' blocks.....so I made up a few more to add to the stack.  Once I get them squared up, I hope I can figure out a layout and get a top sewn.   My string bin is getting low....and that's a good thing. 










We made a stop into Big Lots a couple of days ago.  And look what I found.......clothesline rope for $4!  That is half what it costs at the hardware store.   This brand is just slightly stiffer and maybe slightly thicker, but will work great for more bowls and trivets. 


     And then the appearance of the super hurricane Micheal happened.  This boy grew up quickly and made a beeline for us.  We woke up at 2 am this morning to pounding rain and very strong gusts of wind.  And the good news is......Micheal is a fast mover and will fly on out of here by early afternoon.....leaving us with 5 inches of rain.  We still have power  and life will return to normal rather quickly here.  But those poor folks on the Carolina coastline are in for more rain which they do not need. 
    Thanks to all for checking on us......happy stitching. 

14 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Good to hear you're not being too badly impacted by Michael. Those poor folks in the Florida panhandle, looks like utter total devastation. Your strings are getting low? You probably shouldn't mention that too loudly or your doorstep will be filled with large bags and parcels in a couple days, hehe!

Mary said...

So very relieved that you didn't lose power. This has been a wild year for hurricanes.

Jocelyn said...

So glad Michael didn't pound on you. We only got hard and heavy rains, but not much wind. Thankful for being spared. Sorry for those in his path.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Grateful you are ok and no damage. Grateful your eye exam went good and you found a great (cheap) solution. I just got new glasses and they were almost $400. I had a pair with glare coating and they were miserable- could never get them clean and when you have glaucoma to begin with, it was a losing battle, so had to get a new pair. Can't wait to see the blocks you are working on.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Don't you just hate having your doctors retire? I'm happy for them but it is so hard to start over... So happy Michael isn't sticking around - 5" of rain is more than enough! I feel for all involved especially those of you getting hit a second time so soon. Take Care! ~Jeanne

Barbara said...

Geez...this hurricane habit of yours has got to stop. Glad you came through it okay. I hate it when a good doctor retires. At least my hairdresser is younger than I am. Hopefully, she won’t leave me while I still have hair.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I hope you came through OK, with power on and no damage.

Food and Fiber Floozie said...

I hope you snagged ALL of the clothesline there was because that is a STEAL!!! I am jealous!

Nicki said...

So glad that all you got was 5" of rain from Michael. I'll sure be glad when hurricane season is over. They seem to be getting worse every year.
Doing a happy dance for you for finding that rope bargain. Hope you stocked up on it for more bowls. I love to be able to do a variety of things besides just quilting & those rope bowls are fun to make.

Auntiepatch said...

So glad that you're ok! I have a friend in Tampa who has reported that they are ok, too!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Glad the hurricane didn't wreak too much havoc for you. (STILL getting rain here!)

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank goodness no damage for you from the hurricane. I couldn't believe the destruction when it came up on our news here.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you were safe. I need to get new glasses. It's getting hard to read the computer, etc. That will have to wait now.

Sandy said...

So glad you faired ok with Michael. So much damage, so scary. It will take a long time for folks to come out from under it. Good price on the rope, will be anxious to see your bowls progress. Not something I've ever done. I've never had good luck with the readers you buy at stores, but hubby likes them and has a pair in every room, leaving his "real" glasses for work. I found I was able to save lots of money at Cosco's the last time I needed glasses. Even with tri-focals! Am out blog walking and found my way here from someone else's blog. Always fun to meet new bloggers.
Traveling Suitcase

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...