Friday, April 26, 2019

More FMQ


    I am working on the Jewel Box Star quilt.    This photo is from February when I was playing around with adding applique to the border.  

   The center has been quilted with a simple meander/stipple.  Now to the more intense outlining of the applique.

  Before I began I reviewed the points I picked up from Helen Godden video.

  • Since the applique stem and flowers are all connected, just start at one point and follow it all the way around until you have outlined it all.
  •   Second, if you have to stop, stop at a natural turn/point rather than in the middle of a long line or curve.  (Easier said than done in reality, but I tried to do that!)
  •  When beginning after a stop, get the needle moving before you move your hands/quilt.  This makes the stitching smoother, and without jerks in the line. 
  • Remember to breathe. 


  Before I  share this adventure in photos, the quilt police are banished.  No perfection here.  This is reality at its best.   It has been a while since I tried this style FMQ.

  Once I did the outline stitching, I decided to try some pebbling and dense stitching in the areas between the stems and inner border.  I love the effect but this is tough for my old eyes.   So I decided to mix it up a bit.  The next area was smaller stippling.







The outline stitching was good here.  The area was larger, and the closer stippling closely resembles the pebbling.  So why not?













 
   After a couple of hours, the intense concentration has sapped me.   And....I need to figure out what I will do around the rest of the border.  Maybe swirl flower will be a good choice. 






   On a personal note, my bother has a serious health issue arise yesterday.  He is having more test, scans, and doctors to see today.  I ask for healing prayers.  Thank you.
Happy stitching. 

14 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, Debbie- your brother and you must be shocked. Will pray. Your quilting is just fine- I need to get some today. As it is raining and ugly, I can tolerate being in the basement. I am working on a floral colorwash (non Kaffe) with Wanda's clasas and am sorely lacking in oranges, blue greens and greens. Any ideas where to look?

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

praying

diane said...

Prayers for your brother and your quilting is looking mighty fine. Know when to stop and rest! I'm sure you do.

Quilting Babcia said...

Praying for a quick diagnosis and speedy healing for your brother. I like the idea of doing varying motifs around the appliques in your quilt borders. Adds even more interest to the quilting.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Remember to breathe--yep this is for me! (Also on my list is stop biting either my tongue or my lower lip. Somehow I always seem to do either of those when concentrating and don't even realize it's making me more tense!) I like the pebbles, too--I've only done it on one quilt and really like what it did. Will pray for your brother and his doctors!

Julierose said...

Just really lovely quilting...I have only done straight line and a bit of wavey quilting with my quilting foot--no free motion...I did get a foot and am going to try it...when I (gulp) get up my nerve...hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

Will definitely keep your brother in my prayers!
I think all of the pointers you learned or were reminded of in the video are good things to remember.
Pebbling is not something I do well or enjoy. A small meander works, IMHO. :)

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your quilting looks good. And your pointers are right on. But not stopping in a long line of echoing is so hard - I always have to reposition my hands or scratch my nose or... You and your brother are both in my prayers. This has to be a very difficult time for you. Please know you are not alone. ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your quilting is lovely and thank you for sharing your tips with us. Prayers for your brother and you.

Gene Black said...

About the quilting- perfection is highly over rated. I go by the concept that what I make should NOT look like it was made by a machine (perfect but lacking human energy.)

I will be praying for you and your brother.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Good morning Debbie......I'm happy to add your brother to my prayer list and hope the test results will provide a diagnosis that is easily treatable. I don't believe in Quilt Police, unless you are submitting a quilt to be judged. Our forecast for today includes rain and snow, but since one of our great granddaughters is making her first Communion, we will happily be going out in this crazy weather to see our little angel. Your new quilt is beautiful and I seem to remember another one on which you had the corner applique, and thinking, what a lovely addition it was to your quilt. Take care and don't overdo.

Louise said...

The pebbling and stipping work well together because they are the same scale. The eye will just see all that lovely texture around your pretty applique! It is intense work when the FMQ is tight like that, but worth it in the end.

Holding your brother in my thoughts for a speedy recovery!

MissPat said...

Sending healing thoughts to you and your brother. Is this the brother who lives in FL and had to evacuate due to a hurricane? Your quilting looks just fine. We are always our own worst critics. And it's easier to say stay relaxed than it is to actually do it. It's snowing here in western NY which is really bumming me out, so I'm going to FMQ a baby quilt today.
Pat

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Prayers for your brother. Your quilting looks nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...