Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Lattice blocks and link

   I have 2 bins of fabrics to sort thru still, but not yet!    There are about 30 more blocks already cut and ready to sew.
   I wanted to make sure I liked the batik blocks mixed in with the floral fabrics.   I began filling the design wall.
 Yes, I like the combos.   And I have something to gaze upon instead of a blank wall.



Once I have a few more blocks sewn and up on the wall, then I will worry about shifting things and the layout.  I'm not sure if I will let things fall where they may, or lump colors or values.  Time will tell, I guess.


  I had a couple of emails about the pattern.  The original pattern I tore out of McCall's Quilting in 2007, called Trading Patches.
   Anyway, I did some hunting on line and finally found an archive link....here
  It is not the original article but a resized throw.  The details are the same.

I started  with a 5'' square, slice on the diagonal and add a 1 1/2'' strip to those diagonal cuts.  Block is squared up to 5''.
I mix up the matching when paining the lattice strip to the square of fabric.  Meaning some dark squares get medium to dark strips added, and others get light ones.  The same for the lighter squares.

  I also ran across another variation while searching.  But I did not save the link.....the 5'' squares were cut on the diagonal as this pattern.   But, different halves of the square were sewn to either side of the lattice strip.  A little busier variation but the same technique.

  A new subdivision is going in nearby.  The old golf course was sold and the developers are blasting....blasting with dynamite thru granite.  I don't know why they want  or need to dig so deep, but our nerves are on edge with the vibrations and shaking.  Yesterday, we thought it was an earthquake.   Hate the growth and such out here.  We thought we moved far enough out of town.  Guess not.
  I'll be found in the sewing room avoiding the heat and noise.....happy stitching.

16 comments:

Julierose said...

I think this is very pretty Debbie...i like that combo...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Your combination of the batiks with your floral fabrics is gorgeous. I love it just as it appears now on your design wall. Lattice strips has been on my list of things to try for some time now, guess this might just be the inspiration I need to get working! I think we don't have to worry about many new developments around here, every major employer except for the school districts and hospital are laying off or closing. Very sad for those who love this area and want to stay.

Mary said...

Your fabric choices are going together beautifully. I surely hope they finish blasting soon. I can’t imagine how you can cope with it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love lattice type quilts.

I think if you live long enough in any location there will be new houses eventually. I can't imagine dealing with the blasting though.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry for the noise. I'd love to live in the country, with few neighbors and lots of quiet. Unfortunately, we live in town, with an HOA (never again).

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

You've gotten a lot done! Yikes, that would put my nerves on edge too. Sadly the growth reached us over the last 10 to 20 years. I try to focus on the positives (convenience of stores, dentist etc just minutes away) but oh, the traffic, the dogs, the building... :o( It used to be so quiet many many moons ago!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Meant to add that I always wondered how mixing batiks in would look--I agree, it does work!

Kerry said...

Oooh it almost has a 3D effect! I do enjoy batiks - nice to blend in with any type of pattern, interesting when they are used instead of a solid - subtle yet uplifting, depending on the type of batik used.

Well that dynamite blasting so close to your house can't be helping the structure if it's rocking with the shockwaves! Any damage must surely be repaired by the insurers of the building contractors - and for neighbouring properties. On the other hand - any possibility of escaping to the country? Here there is a quarry a few miles away,depending on the wind direction, we sometimes hear the warning siren and 5 minutes later you might get a very quiet boom. Thankfully far enough away not to get shockwaves above or below ground.

MissPat said...

I did a Carolina Chain quilt (not finished yet) several years ago using florals with batiks as the chain. I haven't finished it because it's too small and I haven't dug into the stash to find enough florals to expand it by a column and row. i suppose no one would notice is I repeated some of the fabrics. Sorry you have to endure the teeth rattling noise. Not sure who can afford to buy all the new expensive houses they keep building.
Pat

Janet O. said...

I do like the combo of the florals and the batiks, too.
Thank you for the link. I have saved the pattern for "someday". *sigh*
I am sorry you are having to endure the blasting and construction. We live a few miles out of town, but the subdivisions keep creeping more our way.

Nicki said...

Oh, the floral & batiks are looking beautiful together. I'm going to love that quilt when it's finished.
Progress never seems to stop. When we moved out her there was lots of acreage & only a few homes. All the property was sold in 5+ acres but now everyone is sub-dividing & we are getting lots of homes all around us. It's still quiet here but more than it was when we first moved out here. Hope the blasting quits soon in your area.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, Debbie, I just read through your recent posts. You do some wonderful quilts; I can see how you call it your therapy. Actually I call my stitching that too...it's true isn't it. We are having heat warnings here continuing...the basement is the coolest place but my sewing room is not down there! Happy Stitching!

Mystic Quilter said...

Sorry to hear about the disruption around your home, constant noise is so very stressful. We have had a little around us but not on the same scale as you describe. I do like the mix of floral and batik, you might remember I made a kaleidoscope quilt a couple of years ago and that was a mix of both these fabrics and worked very well indeed.

LA Paylor said...

they are building like crazy around here, in Aurora CO. I think it's foolhardy, not only taking up the nice countryside, but the growth here is sure to stop now that other states are legalizing pot too. Then our house values will fall, and there will be less landscape to enjoy. Meanwhile the noise and disruption continues. LeeAnna

GrandmaCindy said...

Beautiful. The picture shows starting with a 6 inch square? Thank you, Cindy

Debbie said...

Grandma Cindy, I can't contact you as you are a "NO_REPLY" commenter. Check your blogger identity to link it.
When you ask a question please include email or use my email shown on the side bar.
I began with a 5''square of fabric and sewed in a 1 1/2'' strips. Then I finished squaring up again to 5'' size.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...