Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Sewing on the lattice

    We sure enjoyed the cooler days last week.    Heat has returned but it is not severe.   Plus we have had very intermittent internet and phone this week.   Finally a repairman showed yesterday who couldn't fix it,  and didn't know what to do with our problem. He thought maybe they could get a guy out next week....huh? And that  lead to a strong verbal demand by me---while Sir Old Man melted into the floor--- but a second guy called and showed within the hour!   The fix was easy when he got to the main box.   So we are back up and running with service.   I hate  being the squeaky wheel sometimes, but you have to stand your ground.   

 On to the sewing room.....
   I finished up the lattice blocks from all the large 5'' squares I had cut.  I fiddled with them on the design wall, and realized the more I moved them the worse it was.  LOL....isn't that the way it goes.  So I decided to just put them up as I completed the sewing and trimming.  As long as neighboring blocks were not alike, it stayed where it landed. 
   I webbed together the top 4 rows and sewed them together.  Time to press.



  I still have 8 or so rows to  go on the design wall.  I will probably divide it into 2 sections so it is easier to handle. 

  In between sessions, I pulled out my floral string bin.....it is overly full with all the extra pieces from this last project.  I will be making some small string blocks next. 


   Our neighbor has been making deliveries to our front porch nightly.....as he is sharing his garden goodness!  I make him apple bread in the fall and he brings me tomatoes and cucumbers!  Fair enough I say.  I plan on making another Tomato Pie tonight for dinner  from his bounty.   The link is to an adapted Paula Deen recipe.  I only altered the crust and made a quick one with Bisquick and half n' half. 
  And now to the ironing station....I have seams to press.
Happy stitching. 

15 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Glad you spoke up about the Internet and the phone - sometimes you have to to get attention! The lattice blocks are looking good. I'm on my way to check out tomato pie. Thanks! ~Jeanne

Julierose said...

Ohmygosh this is so lovely--all those gorgeous florals--really nice hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm not a thinker when putting up scrap blocks. They go on the wall and very rarely moved around. This is looking lovely as is - don't over think it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Sometimes the line between assertive and aggressive is mighty thin. It has to be miserable working for the internet providers as the big companies don't keep the equipment upgrades or have enogh techs. The top looks great. I have to admit, I never heard of tomato pie, just pizza pie.

Quilting Babcia said...

Shades of a Summer Garden - your top is beautiful! We have a tomato pie recipe we love too. No bacon and just fresh mozzarella and parmeson cheese, and LOTS of fresh basil along with the tomatoes. Our favorite summer supper.

Kerry said...

Ugh internet issues - over here superfast broadband is available a mile away but not here. They say maybe in a couple of years - heard that one before! So very intermittent availability. As for mobile phones - well, hahahaha nada service!
So good for you for the finger waggling at the engineer - goes to show that it was easily fixed by a more competent person! Sometimes I think they are too quick to do the sharp intake of breath, shake their heads and say hmmm not today. Speaking up took him by surprise - like yikes! Hahahaha - well done tiger!
The lattice is beautiful, another one for my wannados one day list!

Gene Black said...

Sometimes you have to squeak loudly and firmly. Good for you.

I need a neighbor that delivers tomatoes (but not cukes as I don't like them.) I would gladly make cake, cookies or preserves for that neighbor.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your lattice blocks. I have avoided that pattern because I have not wanted to mess with matching the lattice seams near the corners. Do you press them all one way? I think it would be very aggravating to plan which way to press seams for them to nest.

Barbara said...

Your quilt is turning out so pretty. That’s frustrating about the internet. Kind of funny, isn’t it? How did we ever live without the internet back in ye olden days. And now that we have it, we definitely can’t live without it.

LA Paylor said...

I'm so happy you discussed your process, I'm working on mine and it's filling my small design wall (up to 120 blocks made now and the pattern called for 252) The more I move them around the more it seems wrong. Since I'm working in colors more, I have color concentrations that I want to break up. Can't totally break them up tho and it just looks busy. I love doing this, and you've really inspired me to stay in the studio and sew. I'm on my second book on cd! I thought I might quilt it myself in sections but am re-thinking that. I've never quilted by check but maybe this time? LeeAnna

MissPat said...

You have to wonder how we managed to fly into space and go to the moon, but we can't get reliable internet and phone service. Wish I had a neighbor who left me fresh vegetables, but they would need a fence to keep the deer out. I go to the local farm stand. I like the way this quilt is turning out and I have the same problem with moving blocks to separate fabric too near itself. Even after I settle on a layout, I usually find some offenders while quilting.
Pat

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Quilt is looking good! Glad you're getting some fresh produce--may have to try tomato pie sometime! (still staying off of flour, for now)

Mystic Quilter said...

I like the "stayed where it landed" approach of yours, it's certainly working because the quilt is looking beautiful, a cottage garden in fabric.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yes, sometimes we have to be the squeaky wheel. The quilt is turning out nice.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Seems you gotta squeak to get anything done nowadays. Sad. Love your quilt and i would do as you are and not overthink the placement

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...