Thursday, March 5, 2020

Recipe for the blended 4 patch

   I have been sewing a row or two at a time on the blended 4 patch.  I have two sections done....2 opposing corners, and the center band is in the works. 
    I have trouble calling it a blooming 4 patch as it does not explode like the 9 patch does.  This version is a little quieter :)  For those who asked how I was putting this together, here is my formula or recipe.

    This is a mock up done in EQ7.     I used 4 colors for this layout with the center color also as the outer color.  The basic technique is the same no matter how many fabrics you use.  There is one round of squares in the fabric, then a round of 4 patch units in the fabric from the previous round and the fabric of the next round.  So the 4 patch units are the bridge to blend the 2 fabrics.  Clear as mud?     


   I worked with 2'' strips because I have tons of them.  If you are using 2 1/2'' or etc. strips you need to do the math for sizes of large squares to cut.  The large squares need to equal the size of the 4 patch units.

Working from the center out, these are the rounds of units needed.

Fabric A---center.  This layout begins with 2 large squares.
A/B --------6 of the 4 patch units
B------------10  large squares
B/C--------- 14 of the 4 patch units
C ----------- 18 large squares
C/D--------- 22 of the 4 patch units
D----------- 26 large squares
D/A-------- 30 of the 4 patch units
A---------- 30 setting triangles plus 4 corner triangles.  *

*  I cut the setting triangles from a 3'' strip of fabric to avoid the bias on the edges.  The finishing corner triangles were cut from squares.  

Note:  For some of the large squares I did a cheat technique.  Because I was working with 2'' strips, I sewed 2 rectangles of 2'' by 3 1/2'' together to form squares if I did not have yardage to cut the wider width.  

I found that I got about 10 sub-cuts for the 4 patch units from each WOF strip.
From the wider 3 1/2'' strip I got about 11 each of the large squares.  Again....all this depends on your strip size that you are using.  

The layout...unfortunately...is on point.  So you sew those dang rows on the diagonal.  A tip from a comment by Left Handed Quilter helped a lot as I was sewing the rows.  I am sharing it, as maybe it will help others.  
Those dang diagonals keep me on my toes, too! Sometimes I sew (oversized) setting triangles to all of the end blocks first. I do one "side" at a time - with them all oriented the same way - and then put them back on the wall. When I'm done - I take them down - one row at a time - stacked in order - to sew. It works for me - LOL - ;))
This would be great in batiks or tonal prints.  Don't be biased by my florals! 

The size illustrated above is ending up 34'' by 38'' I think.  I do plan on a small border as I want a wall quilt over the sofa.  Fabric requirements for this size...
About 3/4 yard of each of the 4 fabrics. 

I have counted and recounted squares and numbers until I am a bit loopy.  I can't guarantee no mistakes,  but if one is found, let me know so I can stand corrected. 

Now I am off to sew the last two rows together.  Hoping the weekend to get the sections joined.  Happy stitching. 

9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the recipe, Debbie - and for the shout-out!! I'm glad my tip helped as you were sewing the rows. I have always wanted to try a "blooming 9-patch" - but I might try your smaller 4-patch version first - thanks for sharing - ;))

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for this tutorial - hope you stick it under your tab for future reference because I really would like to try this. Maybe even a challenge for our Monday sewing group.

Janet O. said...

I really like this, Debbie. Don't have time to make it right now, but I think it would look good in any type of fabric. I wouldn't hesitate to make this in CW repros, homespuns, or even recycled shirts--and I think your suggestion of batiks is excellent!

---"Love" said...

I'm not sure I understand it all, but I do know I think it is very pretty! ---"Love"

Ray and Jeanne said...

Thanks for your recipe - it makes sense to me since I can see the mock up. I'd like to try it - too bad I didn't have this when I had those 7000+ 2.5" squares. :). Glad you are working on the last rows - can't wait to see your quilt. ~JEanne

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I think this would look outstanding. I like the way you organized the info.

Gene Black said...

OOoh thanks! This would certainly look good in Batiks or hand dyed fabrics.
I am adding it to my list of "I want to try that one."

Mystic Quilter said...

I always love seeing your florals but I can also envisage this, as you suggest, in batiks - might give it a try one day! It does look complex but there are patterns in the book Tradition with a Twist which I have had for quite a number of years, I must spend a little time looking at their instructions. Pleased to read you're still able to manage a little sewing time.

KatieQ said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely quilt. I love the way the colors transition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...