Monday, March 9, 2020

Successful weekend equals 2 tops!

  I got out and enjoyed some sun over our nice weekend.  Yet, I still managed to finish up those rows and join the sections of the blended 4 patch. 

  I had just enough fabric to add a 3'' border around the whole thing to give it a firm finish.  It now looks complete to me. 








  Confession to make......my final layout and sewing arrangement did not exactly match the screenshot on the post for the recipe.    My four patches are rotated in the outer round, but it works anyway!  I sure wasn't going to do any un-sewing. 
   If you are making this one, twist and turn those units until they land the way you like them. 






 

  Since the weather pressure was being kindly to me, Sunday afternoon was another sewing stint.  This time to add a border to a watercolor that I had added some applique to.    Those turquoise flowers enticed me to find a little bit of turquoise that I used as an accent flange around the center.  It's a folded 1'' strip and just barely noticeable.  Yet it makes any turquoise in the center just pop.  The outer strip of the border is a batik that has a touch of blue-ish spots in it.  I actually had to piece portions together to have enough.  Now it needs a good pressing before getting pinned for quilting. 
 
   I caught part of Angela Walters You Tube video session at lunch today.  She sure is down to earth and so inspirational.    You can always see the lesson on her channel.    She answered questions while doing heavy quilting on a pre-printed panel.  I learned a lot in the past from her and her feathers videos are great :)

   Seems the covid-19 has reared its head nearby here in South Carolina.  And the news has the world in a panic.  Best advice is to let common sense prevail.  After years of working in the laboratory and taking classes from CDC, I know the virus will mutate and our bodies will learn to fight off this new pathogen/antigen.  Antibodies develop over time and exposure, not because we get in a panic....not because we over buy mask, and toilet paper or hand santitizer.    This week began with a time change---nope, I did not forget it---- and has a super moon, and ends on Friday the 13th.  Now throw in the virus panic.   Help!   I am better and smarter than superstitions .....I will survive because I sew. 
Happy stitching. 

13 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Yay for good weather and feeling good. Your two tops are great - I do love that pop of turquoise! Sorry to hear the Covid-19 is near you. Hopefully it won't find you. We're just using common sense and we do keep washing our hands. We did spend all weekend at a hockey tournament where it might have been too cold for that virus. ~Jeanne

Quilting Babcia said...

Sunny warm days are so very welcome, it reached 60 degrees here today - yay! Your two tops are wonderful, but the narrow strip of turquoise in that second top is a stroke of genious, so perfect!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Both quilts look fantastic. Glad the weather is cooperating with you. I think people have lost perspective.It is one thing to have and practice healthy habits, but the mania and fear puts unnecessary stress on everyone. Panic is never good. Taking appropriate precautions needs clear heads.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Our family loves the 13th. I like the flange. It does set it off nicely.

sue s said...

I really llke the flange. The perfect touch for that quilt. Michigan is still covid-free but I'm sure that will change. I spent my work life in a microbiology lab so it gives me a different perspective. I encourage folks to continue to listen to CDC for advice.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lovely watercolor quilts, both look wonderful. This virus will reach around the world into all our communities eventually, we just need to be sensible with preventive measures, care for ourselves if we get sick, and try not to pass it around. I agree, sew on!!

Louise said...

Love that little turquoise flange! It really does make the pretty flowers pop. Borders and binding can really set the whole color scheme, can't they? I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better! That's great news. And you're so right about panic not helping anyone develop antibodies. My Dad always used to say, "Panic is worse than bombs." So true :)

Gene Black said...

Two great finished tops! Honestly, I can rarely follow my own patterns. I tend to change things as I go - sometimes on purpose sometimes not.

The applique on the watercolor quilt really adds a nice touch to it.

I can not believe the panic over COVID-19. I worked in Public Health for many years - and I know that handwashing is way better than that hand sanitizer. Also unless the mask is an N-95 it may do more harm than good at keeping OUT germs/virus. Use in surgery etc is to keep germs from getting to the exposed patient.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Glad you're getting sun! Isn't the virus stuff crazy? I'm not really worried personally but at the same time, if we all need an excuse to stay in our sewing rooms, I'm down!

Janet O. said...

You've had great success in the sewing room!
And you give sound and sane advice in regards to the virus. Can't believe how empty the store shelves are of so many things! And fights in store aisles over toilet paper??

MissPat said...

Glad you have been able to tackle some quilting projects and are feeling better. I haven't been overly worried about the virus until today. What worries me as much as the illness itself is the economic impact closing schools and universities, canceling public events, and banning travel will have on many small businesses and their workers who do not have the ability to withstand the loss of their paychecks. And it's hard to have faith in our government's ability to handle the situation when so much misinformation is being sent. Trying to keep calm, but it's not easy.
Pat

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

We made our regular grocery store run this morning and were shocked to see the lines of people and the panic stricken faces. It is so sad. The news media should be ashamed of themselves.

I love that touch of turquoise. It really sets it off to perfection! And I am not sure I've ever completed a pattern as written. I try, but it just doesn't seem to work out. I've had lots of fun though!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh congratulations on the finish of not one but two tops!! I think we can all help ourselves in this situation by sewing and fondling fabric - it's going to be another week I think before I can get to sit at my machine.
Keep well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...