I had visions of sharing some large quilts and new photos.....yet I moved to plan B because the sun hasn't cooperated this past week. So here's the trunk......
Let's open the trunk and see what we find. It could be filled with pirate's treasure, but in this house I bet it holds a different bit of wonder.
Changing Seasons is a mixed technique wall hanging. It began as a regular watercolor in the center. And then it evolved when I decided to add cardinals sitting on a branch. The branch needed to be anchored to a tree, and so I "grew" up a tree.
The tree is fused applique with several layers of fabric. I would cut a hunk and pin it up on the design wall, stand back and see it if created depth. This went on for about a week. I ended up adding twisted yarns and cording in areas for more texture to the tree and branches.
The border was by chance. I did not have enough of the one fabric used on the left side. So I looked for large hunks to finish it off . It ended up with a scenic type border----from sky to horizon to ground. A narrow strip of black pushed the outer border back for even more depth.
Remembrance is also a mixed technique wall hanging. On the left is a section of leftover watercolor squares from another project. To it I added cobblestone blocks of pastel batiks. The cobblestone blocks are a scrap technique from Wanda at Exuberant Color. She has such wonderful ideas and does amazing work.
Once I had the background created, I was inspired to use the Veteran's Day symbol of poppies. I love how they stand tall against the sky.
The poppies are fused applique with a small amount of thread painted detail in the centers. A narrow filet of a yellowish batik was added before the border went on. I liked how it made the flower centers pop.
Hope is always hung somewhere in the house. It has a seasonal appearance, but I keep it up all year round. It is a basic watercolor background with thread painted cardinal and pine branch.
I went through a period of doing a lot of thread painting and this was the final one I did. There are 3 sections---cardinal, main branch and pine needles, and smaller clumps of pine needles. Each section was thread painted --with a zig-zag stitch---onto bridal tulle sandwiched between sulky as a stabilizer. Once completed the sections were cut out (sulky dissolved) and appliqued onto the wall hanging. A few extra thread painted stitches were added to blend it all together.
I don't remember exactly how many shades of red I used, but I think it was in the range of 9-10. The highlights were actually pink.
Appliqued cording was added to separate the border.
One more to say Welcome for the season. This is a small table topper. The pineapple was made from strips and strings of yellow and gold fabrics in a braid pattern. The pineapple shape was cut out and appliqued to a string background. Three shades of green were cut and fused for the leaves. I did not have enough fabric for a border on 4 sides, so I made do with just 2. I love the off set look and use it a lot now.
Now, click on over to the Trunk Full of Quilts linky and see what other inspiration you can find.