Wednesday, January 30, 2019

A book and a quilt

   I recently re-watched all of the Bletchley Circle programs.   There were only 2 seasons about the girls who were code breakers for England during WWII, but I found it well written and the puzzle solving intrigued me.   Supposedly there is another series and version with 2 of the girls in the US, but I have not seen it yet.

  So recently, I have had my eyes glued to the pages of a book I picked up  at Mr. K's Bookstore.    The Code Girls had me hooked two pages into the introduction.  Just the comparative details of the the 1940's social setting on women and education were eye opening history for me......and then Pearl Harbor happened.
   The male view in that war era comes across when the  government begins to look for  and recruited  "women who like puzzles and are not currently engaged."     Much of what the women of my mother's generation faced before the war was still evident in the 1960's when I came of age.    Other points are quite telling, but I am not here to be on a soapbox.   They were recruited to be code breakers for all the bit of messages and signal traffic of the enemies, to figure out the patterns and details.  To make sense of it all.  Intriguing to me this is.
   Just to say, I have traveled back in time a bit and found a new set of super heroes to admired.   These women, girls really,  made a difference, and saved lives.  I am enjoying the read  so far.




Oh, yes, then the quilting.  I have a finish!
   Those tasty garlic knots have been bound and ready for a label.  It is very windy, quite cold for me, outside, so an inside photo for now.  I will get a better photo when it warms up.
   I added that narrow flange strip for accent before the simple border.   And the binding is leftover strips for a scrappy binding to wrap it all up. 

  The Chandelier Bead blocks are stitched up into a top.  That will be my next project to get quilted when I find a backing. 

I am still stitching together squares for a border on the Jewel Box Star quilt, and then there are blocks for the Scrappy Trips to be sewn.  I have decided to not start another project as these three can keep me occupied.   Another project would just over-whelm me. 

  I am in the midst of those awful, invasive, so-called required tests, and procedures that come around annually.  I  think I will opt out/cop out/just say no next year.  Five appointments in 3 weeks is just too much. 
Stay warm everyone, and happy stitching. 

17 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I watched the Bletchley Circle shows and really enjoyed them. I will have to look for the book. Your garlic knots quilt is beautiful. I had thought about making one but decided to stick with the quilts I was already making, but looking at yours, it is mighty tempting!

Janet O. said...

I hadn't heard of the shows or the book. Thanks for sharing--sounds fascinating!
Great finish! And I can't wait to see the Chandelier Beads all finished!

Mary said...

I love your garlic knot quilt. Thanks for the heads up on the Bletchley Circle shows.

Quilting Babcia said...

I wasn't enthralled with garlic knot blocks until I saw this finish - gorgeous!! Another way to use up a lot of scrappy squares. Those books sound very interesting, if only there were 48 hours in a day ...

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your garlic knots are gorgeous! I love the flange and the border too. Great job! I'm sure I would love reading Code Girls. I haven't seen the Bletchley Circle programs but they sound right up my ally. Hopefully the annual 'pains' will be over soon. Hang in there. ~Jeanne

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like the garlic knot design. I had saved a similar quilt from a magazine I was pitching but your value changes are much nicer than that one.

Sometimes I think the tests that are ordered are just because it is a list that a dr. follows instead of following his/her instinct of what we really need. When my mother had a mammogram at age 88 and came out crying from the pain and had bruises, I told her she could just tell them no if they wanted to do that again. Her age group would never have questioned anything the dr. said.

Gene Black said...

I think I would question the doctor intensely about why each test is done. That is a lot in a short period of time.

The book sounds intriguing. I had not heard of the TV series. I may have to watch it.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Is this on Netflix? Hubs is constantly after me to watch things with him but there’s not much I care to see—but this would be interesting! The garlic knots turned out wonderfully, as we all knew they would! Love it! Hmmm, I tend to skip yearly tests a LOT and probably will till my dying day. Can’t say it’s a good idea, just that you have company!

---"Love" said...

Your garlic knots quilt turned out really pretty! I also love the lovely little flange border! I've not heard of the book you are reading, not the shows, but I do remember, as a young child, hearing about young women who really did that kind of work, and probably helped change things a lot during WWII! (and yes, I was a young child then, with a brother based in Japan.) ---"Love"

Louise said...

I know what you mean about all the "required" tests. I don't do them every year; it's just too much.

Amazing how all the garlic knots come together into such a beautiful overall pattern! And the swirly whirly quilting looks really super. Congrats on a lovely finish :)

Barbara said...

I have that book on my wish list. Sounds like an interesting story. Love your garlic knots quilt. That turned out great, and I love the pattern.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Your garlic knots in particular are wonderful. Love the edge treatment. You are making steady progress on your quilts with such gorgeous results.

Mystic Quilter said...

Debbie, I hope all your test and procedures will be finished soon and that you have time to relax after they're all done, hope all goes well.

LA Paylor said...

I cannot believe in the year 2019, women are still having to prove themselves. Also that when women are strong and stand up for their ideals, they are called nasty names by threatened men. Haven't we progressed??? well... it's not amazing that women were able to contribute their intellect, it's amazing that it's still not expected.
I'm making your chandelier blocks now, and thank you for the pattern and idea as they are stunning.
I need to just make some blocks to zen out
LeeAnna

Nicki said...

Your garlic knot quilt turned out so pretty & I can't wait to see the finished chandelier quilt. I really like the flange on the knot quilt & the extra added color to the final border.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sounds like a great book. I've always been interested in the 'people' that lived during WWII. I like the garlic knots quilt. The tiny border before the border really sets it all off. Sorry about all the tests. Never fun.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

A follow-up--I found these at the local library so will start watching prob this week. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...