Monday, January 7, 2019

Old tip to store fabric

  I spent a while last week cleaning up the piles and stacks of fabrics scattered all over my sewing space.  At least now I can see the cutting table.    That brought to mind an old post on making mini bolts for larger yardage that I thought I would re-share.

Tip for storing fabric:
  My large collection of floral fabrics are usually folded and stored in bins on  shelves in my stash closet.  Mainly those fabric cuts are small and less than a yard.  But what about the larger yardage cuts for borders and backings especially?   
Mini-bolts!

  About 4 years ago, I began using the mini-bolts for storage.  When I first  began this, I was using a thin plastic insert.  Later I switched  to using  foam core board.  The foam core  can be purchased at the Dollar Store in the 2 foot by 3 foot size usually.  I cut the size-- that works best for me-- 11" to 12" high by 8" wide.    It's easy to cut with a craft knife.  I often end up with smaller sections of the boards and they work great for shorter cuts--- those under a yard. 




Today, I am even more frugal.....I use old  yard campaign signs or yard signs of any kind that I find....like house for sale, or other advertising.  They get knocked down or the wires rust out.  I collect them, wash them up, and cut  to the size I like.    I'm saving the land fill (if they would ever make it there) and keeping my dollars for fabric and thread.  


 Fabric is folded just like it comes off the bolt.  Then one more fold---bringing the folded side over to match the selvedge edge.  Roll it up and pin the end.  
     The mini-bolts make it easy to see what I have to work with.  I am  known to be pretty messy and scattered, so this really helps me neater.   And what fun to shop your own fabric store in your stash closet.






14 comments:

diane said...

Great ideas and agree with how much easier to see and taking one mini bolt out is so much nicer than piles of fabric that are piled high to pull a piece from. I do have some folded pieces piles so I know. Maybe one day I will get them on mini bolts as well.

Gene Black said...

I do something similar with comic book boards. I bought one big package of them years ago and they are still quite serviceable.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Looks so nice and tidy! I keep anything over 2 yards or so on a full bolt--usually when I buy this much, I'm getting it for a steal so I buy it all and have them roll it back onto the bolt. I love storing fabric this way and occasionally think of doing my smaller amounts on mini-bolts but then I think how long that would take and I give up. LOL I should probably just do a little here and there as I come across good cardboard or something. I love a quilt shop as much as the rest of us but shopping my own fabric is my favorite!

Mary said...

I'm always on the hunt for organizational ideas. Thanks for the tips. (Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as good maintaining a system once I set it up, sigh.)

Rhonda Snider said...

I fold my fabric like this, but without the boards. I then stack the fabric by color so I can easily find it. So far it works great for me.

Nicki said...

Great tips on how to store fabric. I don't have yardage so just keep my fat quarters, stash & other pieces in plastic bins. I really like how neat and easy to see your mini bolts are stored.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your fabric shelf looks so neat! The New Year is a great time to 'clean-up'. Although I need to do it more than once a year. I like your ideas for the inserts in your mini bolts. It helps so much to be able to see what you own. It saves me money too - if I can see that I own it, I don't have to buy it. ~Jeanne

---"Love" said...

Great idea! However, if I set out to get all my fabric folded like that, I'd be folding until eternity, and wouldn't have any time to cut and sew! But I may try it someday; I'm sure it would be better than what I'm doing now! ---"Love"

Janet O. said...

Looks really nice to have your fabrics stored like that. Does seem like your own little fabric store. :)

Louise said...

Good for you for reusing what would otherwise be garbage! It's brilliant to recycle the yard signs like this. And what better way to cover up a candidate that you don't support than by folds of lovely fabric :)

LA Paylor said...

that's clever use of boards... I knew some people used that but I thought they must not have much. I too like drawers for stash, but the bigger pieces do repel the drawer system. This is a brilliant way to store the larger pieces only. I'll try it, thanks for always posting something I want to try!
LeeAnna

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for your tips! I am in the middle of refolding/reorganizing fabric. All the little bits done, but the big yardage needs a spot besides dumped in a closet.

Mystic Quilter said...

It's much easier to see the fabric I agree, I tried this method but don't have shelves only the large baskets on runners and it's not nearly as good for storage.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I use comic book boards (acid free) and fold my fabric the same way you do. It looks great in my bookshelves in my sewing room. It also fits better in my plastic tubs. I started trying to get the rest of my yardage folded before Christmas, but got sidetracked. I really need to get back to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...