Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Scraps and collage

     While I really need to straighten up the sewing room,  I did not have the motivation.  I wanted a little play time.  So I made an even bigger mess and did some cutting  and fusing for a collage. 

  This is really just a trial/test piece.  I need to hunt and dig for more interesting fabric for the background.     The actual floral arranging was easy and went together rather quickly.  Better than what I can create in real life. 
  Plus I now have a better idea of the type of prints to use and dig out for the florals.  And I need to add some shading areas around the pitcher vase to create depth.
  Then the next step is to get every edge stitched down.  Time consuming, indeed.  But this will make a nice small wall hanging.





  Sir Old Man made me a handy little gadget for Christmas.    A seam presser!  I saw one the Cheryl shared on her blog Teapots2quilting, and loved it.   She also shared how to make a magnetic pin dish---be sure to check it out. 
  Anyway, I drew off a similar shape pattern and he headed for the workshop.  This seam press is made of  scrap cherry  wood.  It does a great/wonderful/perfect job on the seams for the chandelier blocks:)


 

  My brother gave me new steak knives for Christmas.  But there was no room in the knife drawer for them.  A little shopping on Amazon solved my problem and I ordered a wooden magnetic knife block.  Sir Old Man pulled out the tools and hung it up this afternoon.
   Then......made the comment, "I see how they made this.  No problem.  I can get earth magnets." 
  So sometime in the future I expect another magnetic knife block will appear and hang on the other end cabinet.  Oh, heck, he could get slap happy and make them for Christmas gifts next year.  BTW, all recipients loved their serving trays. 
    Ok, I'm going to put away at least one stack of fabric today.  At this pace, I might get my fabric stored away in a couple of years.  Happy stitching. 

19 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely flower arrangement--I especially like that pitcher in the blue...hugs, Julierose

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Out of curiosity, will you do the shading with oil pastels. I went to an appliqué class years ago. We played around with oil pastels to do the shading. It was fun. Your floral arrangement is beautiful!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your first attempt at a fabric collage is great! I love the flower arrangement. I did a little cleaning in my sewing studio AFTER I played for a while. You know what they say - all work and no play.... ~Jeanne

Linda Swanekamp said...

Pays to have a woodturner inhouse- pretty neat wood iron. I managed to empty 7 plastic boxes into a cupboard I emptied out also. Much better to see the fabric. I reckon it will take hours to figure out how to get it all out of the boxes.
Cut two backings over the holidays, and when I went to pair them- one for the long arm- both are the wrong size. Now I have to seam in a strip with a UFO block to make the right width. Can't be trusted with simple arithmetic.

Mary said...

Your test piece is a keeper. Very pretty. And I would say your hubby is a keeper too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's more fun to play than to clean. Very pretty piece. If I had all my knives hung around the kitchen, people would start to have strange thoughts about me. I have two knife blocks out and a whole drawer dedicated to special knives. Think I need to thin out.

---"Love" said...

Your collage is already beautiful; will be watching for its finish. ---"Love"

Quilting Babcia said...

So very beautiful, and that flower vase/pitcher sings. Oh boy, I think we all need a major clean-up of our quilting digs, but I think I'll just start another project. At least I looked at my little swiffer boxes of miscellaneous two-patches, leftover triangle squares, etc. etc., but no decisions yet. Quilting is an adventure, can't overplan it!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think play time was in order. Cleaning can be done on a day when you don't have an idea to try out.

Janet O. said...

My goodness, Debbie--if playtime yields such beautiful results, I can't imagine how gorgeous things will be when you get serious about it!
Love what your hubby made for you for Christmas! And I knew he was going to say he could make that knife magnet. He needs his own etsy shop. I know I'd be a customer! :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love your collage! I asked Santa for a second magnetic knife strip this year as I have more knives than will fit on just one. It is so much better for the knives, and reduces the chance of nicking your finger getting them out of a drawer.

Gene Black said...

The collage is a delight. I love the artistic arrangement of the flowers.
That knife block is great. Mine isn't nearly as nice -as it is just a plain magnetic strip. I can see that the wood is protective of the blades more than a metal strip.

Barbara said...

Your collage turned out great!

Sylvia Anderson said...

Playtime was definitely more productive than cleanup time. It's beautiful Debbie, and the blue fabric is perfect for the pitcher. I have been thinking about a magnetic knife holder for several months now, and think I may go ahead and order one, as I have an overflow of knives in the drawers. Has SOM ever thought about an Etsy shop? It might just be the release he needs for all his bottled up creative juices.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Your seam presser is lovely! Beautiful wood your hubby choose. I like the flower vase. Have fun with it.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your collage even if it was a trial version. It must be wonderful to have such a handy DH.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That is a beautiful floral collage! My guess is those fabric ones obey better than real ones! (Which is why I'm a mess at arranging real flowers. One of my sisters is a florist and can fix a bouquet in 60 seconds flat...but she despises sewing so I guess to each their own! When I put together a quilt, those pieces stay! LOL) . We have several magnetic knife strips but they are metal. Is this is covered in wood? Does it still hold well then?

Nicki said...

Your collage is absolutely beautiful. I love how you try so many new things & they turn out so well. Your wooden seam presser is BEAUTIFUL! I have a little white Clover Hera marker that I use as a presser but don't think it's as effective as your nice one.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful collage the jug fits in perfectly. The seam presser is an excellent idea, I have a tiny one but it still does the job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...