Monday, January 14, 2019

A pressing slip cover

     I had a light bulb moment  one afternoon last week.  It involved solving the "ugly" problem in my pressing area.   In 2015, I found pressing space by using the pull out work space on the Hoosier I have in the sewing room.   
   A pressing mat worked for a while, and then I had Sir Old Man make a plywood top to sit over it.  The top was covered with 2 layers of batting and decor weight fabric.  It has served me well for 3 years, but began to have the uglies ---you know from starch over spray and water mists stains --- recently. 





   I ran across the extra decorator fabric and wanted to re-cover it for a fresh face.  Then I realized I would face the same problem in a couple of years. 

  Cue the light bulb!  I made a slip cover to fit over the pressing board.  It can be removed and washed when it gets stained or dirty looking.   I used a few T-pins across the top area to keep it all from slipping. 




 

   And now I am ready to press away.  I finished up a few Chandelier Bead blocks on Saturday while watching Quilt-Cam with Bonnie.   I may have just enough for a throw size quilt. 



   I also worked on the collage......can anyone tell me what I was thinking when I jumped into this?   My memory has really failed because now I remember why I never made more than one block  in this technique.  It's the stitching.....and stitching and stitching.  And you think you are done securing it all and something comes loose.  Stitch some more.  All those small pieces that are wonderful when fused but awful to anchor properly.  Needless to say, my itch to be creative in this manner has been satisfied and put away in its proper place.  On to a new plan.
And make it something that does not involve small pieces in a collage. 
    Happy stitching.

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

We all have our weak moments when something seems so appealing it jumps over our logic. I have Sea Urchin by Judy Niemeyer laughing at me in its bag due to the extremely tedious paper piecing it requires. I just don't know how to either get it done or abandon it guilt free.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The last time I put a new cover on my pressing board, I vaguely thought about a removable cover but didn't think it would be tight enough. Thanks for the tip! Definitely good to know a thicker fabric and pinning works, though I do kind of like getting a "new look" every so often.
I'm kind of questioning my sanity with my latest project too. Such tedious piecing!

Ray and Jeanne said...

My ironing board needs a new cover - thanks for the idea of removable! As for the collage, just hold onto it until the urge hits again. It might be done in 5-10 years. 😄 ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I buy ironing board covers, but they must be felt backed. I see everyone is into the thick felt ironing pads ( a small fortune by the way), but I have been using felt since I started quilting - heating both sides of the fabric for very flat seams.

Janet O. said...

Wish I had a nice large ironing surface like that.
Brilliant move to make the cover removable and washable. I just have a regular old ironing board, and I lay a towel across it for all of my quilt pressing. As it gets messy from starch and such, I wash it. When I actually have to iron a shirt, once in a blue moon, I pull off the towel and my ironing board cover is pristine for the clean shirt. It works for now.
Sometimes we jump into a project with great enthusiasm, only to discover it is not all that we imagined. :)

Mary said...

That's a great idea, Debbie! I've been using large towels when starching, but they slide around and need to be constantly re-positioned.

Gene Black said...

After watching the current "The Quilt Show" I decided to recover my ironing surface last night. The lady explained that using flannel would keep the pieces from moving under the iron. This supposedly keeps the seams straight and prevents fabric stretching.
of course I staple the fabric on my board. It isn't too hard to remove when I want to do a "redo."

Louise said...

I guess we all have techniques that just don't "float our boat"! Collage stitching does sound kind of tedious. Oh well, at least you have a fresh clean ironing board :)

Nicki said...

Light bulb moments are so energizing! Over my lifetime I've had quite a few but can't remember them right now. :)
I hear your pain with the collage. I'm sort of that way about paper piecing. I love that look of paper piecing but just can't get the hang of doing it. I think I should take a class instead of rely on my "self taught" method. Some day I want to master it but every time I think I can, I just end up frustrated.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great idea for the removable cover, I've done this with my small pressing board, works a treat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...