Monday, June 10, 2019

Between the rains

  I glanced out the office window as I was answering emails and saw a swath of yellow blooms.  These are large, very large daylilies called Buttered Popcorn.  Isn't that name just the best!     I had Sir Old Man separate them last fall and plant them all alone the front walkway.    They are quite prolific bloomers.









  He had to tie up the gladiolas near the window that are just coming into bloom.    We have had 2 '' of rain in the last 2 days, and more  coming.  So I am afraid the these stems will be beaten down or broken soon. 









  On the design wall......
I unearthed a hidden UFO.  Well, not really a UFO, just a very long term project.  Anyway, I found about 20 of these block units while Sir Old Man was in Alaska.  I sewed most of them into 4 block units to create the small Trips Around the World unit. 
  Once I got them up on the design wall, I started sewing up more of the strata units of 6.   I have shared this many times.....from Bonnie at Quiltville.  It's the Scrappy Trips around the World.
  So this is what I have been sewing when I found a few minutes.   I like the very scrappy nature of this, and it is just fun stitching.  I probably need another 20 or so blocks for a large size.  So I will just keep going on this long term one. 
  Thanks for all the wonderful comments on Sir Old Man's project.  He was floored by the response. 
Happy stitching.

12 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sometimes I cut my glads for an indoor vase if I know weather is coming that will destroy them. They will continue to open up blooms inside. Lovely flowers, and I love that name Buttered Popcorn on your day lilies.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such sunshiney flowers, so wonderful. I love the Scrappy Trips. I have one all cut up with about 10 blocks done- can't get to it. Yours is very colorful and fresh. Maybe your husband will realize now how his workmanship and finish are so much a cut above what is out there.

Gene Black said...

I love the Buttered Popcorn lilies (yes that name is wonderful.)
Your scrappy trips looks great too.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your Buttered Popcorn lilies are gorgeous. I love the color, the big blooms, and the name. I've always liked Bonnie Hunters Scrappy Trips around the World. I've made at least three of these and have another one going. I really like yours - it will be a gorgeous finish. ~Jeanne

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Our lilies are just starting to bloom here; haven't seen any sign of my glads :o( . Love the scrappy!

Quilting Babcia said...

We have a smaller version of your bright yellow daylilies, hopefully to give us some blooms by the end of June. They are one of my favorites too, being a lover of yellow. Your new quilt is progressing beautifully, it will make a stunning bed size quilt!

Janet O. said...

Very pretty day lilies--now I want some popcorn. Thanks for that. :)
I almost bought an iris last week that was that same intensity of yellow. Now I regret that I didn't.
That will be a nice, big Scrappy Trips quilt. I think I stopped at 36 blocks for mine.

Louise said...

I just love how big and bold lilies can be! I do miss having a garden, which is tricky on a boat. The salt water and air is really hard on most plants, not to mention my kitty who is a "nibbler"!

I'm going to take a lesson from you and hold onto my scrappy trips chunk until I can add more to it. They always look better as they grow bigger and bigger, I think.

Julierose said...

Just gorgeous lilies...i like your scrappy trip hugs, Julierose

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a fun name for those beautiful lilies. Your quilt is coming along quite nicely.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

My mother used to grow Gladiolas. I haven't seen any for a long time. She always had a bouquet of them using one of those "frogs" that look like a bunch of nails pointing up to anchor them in an arrangement. You are ahead of us with the lilies blooming.

Mystic Quilter said...

Well I'm so glad you found those blocks! Your Scrappy Trips is a beauty, are you going with 2" finished squares?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...