Thursday, June 6, 2019

From the workshop----no drooling please

   The last 2 weeks got away from  me.....Sir Old Man made it safely back with a full suitcase of laundry!  It took a couple of days to get things back to normal, and run errands, etc.  Then a week of something scheduled everyday.  And time  to sew or blog completely escaped me. 

   Today's project to share comes from the wood working shop of Sir Old Man.
It has been a UFO project for about 2 years.....everything else got put ahead of it for one reason or another.  No drooling, please.


  A Mission style cabinet  now fills this spot in the sun room.   He made it of oak, which he once again fumed with ammonia to achieve the color.  No stain, just the natural reaction of the wood to the ammonia.   He had to do a second closed fuming tent session to get the color he wanted.

      He tracked down and ordered the period reproduction hardware.  I love the lines of it. 




  A single shelf behind the door, and beautiful drawers on glides for easy closing. 

  Please notice the drawers are flush to face of the cabinet.  And there is a very nice, even reveal around each one.  I had a lesson or two about the difficulty of attaining this.  Pennies were used to ensure the spacing was exactly even. 



  I figured that if he could endure lessons on matching points and even stitches, I could learn about flush drawers and those details. :)



Perfectionist that he is, even the inside of the drawers get a sanding and finish. 
  Of course, that makes it all the better for me when loading or overloading them!  And no cheap plywood here....he uses a very costly baltic birch  for the drawers.  It does not warp or twist.










This photo is a truer color of the wood.  It is such a beautiful golden honey tone.  With exposure to daylight, it will darken and age to a deeper tone.   The appearance will be pure vintage Mission style in a few months. 











  I spent the afternoon gathering place mats, and table runners from the far corners of the house.  All the seasonal runners and mats went into the long bottom drawer.  Behind closed doors went the many place mats and runners for daily use. A smaller drawer for mug rugs too.  And the top drawers for extra cutlery and serving pieces. 
  This is the heirloom piece of his workshop.    I may need to add extra insurance to cover his work! 

  The rain has arrived and it is so nice to hear the splatter and drips out side.  We have been so dry for almost 3 weeks.  Good day for some stitching.....happy stitching. 



26 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What an absolute treasure! My Dad was a master woodcrafter and he would just have loved this piece - I can appreciate the work involved. Certainly not a piece to be rushed and she shines because of it.

Mary said...

Your hubby is certainly talented. This piece is lovely.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a beautiful chest in my favorite style! That is an interesting finish for the wood.

---"Love" said...

It is incredibly beautiful! Your hubby is quite a craftsman! ---"Love"

lmno said...

Oh my goodness. What beautiful work. Exceptional treasure.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Ha! Too late--I was drooling the second I saw the pic, before I read the warning. Such beautiful work! Our carpenter that built our kitchen cabinets was a similar perfectionist. No cheap plywood inside, etc. Very costly, but I could totally appreciate what he was doing. Love seeing BOTH of your projects! I look forward to the day my hubs can start creating with me. Just so rewarding. Betting you two are a very happy pair!

Sharon said...

So jealous...my hubbie is restoring a 69 Chevelle, would not add to ho e decor. Lovely work. Your hubbie is very talented. Sharon

LJ said...

Drooling - for sure. It's gorgeous. You are one lucky gal to have a hubster that's so talented.

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! You guys really compliment each other - you are both skilled artists! ~Jeanne

Cathy said...

Oh my, that piece is exquisite! Please tell Sir Old Man (love that nickname. Is it taken from Paperback Writer by The Beatles?) that he is a master craftsman (of Craftsman!) Truly, DH and I are both gobsmacked! You are very lucky!!

Gene Black said...

Wow that is nice. Much better than most things you can find to buy these days.

Quilting Babcia said...

How can I help but drool, just a little. Your Sir Old Man has some amazing talent, workmanship like this is seldom found and to be treasured, which I know you do! You two are an extremely talented couple!

Sylvia Anderson said...

Pardon me, while I wipe the drool from my chin. What a beautiful heirloom piece of furniture SOM has, once again created. Your children, will one day, treasure, and pass on these gorgeous pieces of furniture you are so fortunate to have in your home. You are BOTH so talented. Stay well.

pbrenner said...

What a gorgeous piece, and an absolute heirloom!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Gorgeous indeed! You are blessed that Sir Old Man shares his talent with you.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What a stunning piece! I admit, I drooled a bit. 😉 It’s a beautiful work of art!

Karen said...

Oh, my! Pass me a tissue! I, too, drooled a little.
Gorgeous piece!
Well Done, Sir Old Man!!!

Nicki said...

I'm just amazed and in awe every time I see a piece of Sir Old Man's works of art. Anyone who could learn woodworking under his tutelage would be extremely fortunate. I remember you telling us about the fuming tent before. What a unique way to get just the right finish on a piece of furniture. So, just how long does it take to make a piece like that? You two are a perfect talented team & welcome home Sir Old Man!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, how magnificent! The design, the color, the wood. Oh. I have one frame on a silkscreen print that was fumed and over the years, it becomes more beautiful. A new piece of furniture makes the room an entire artwork.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Beautiful piece, the wood tone is lovely.

Louise said...

This is fine, fine woodworking! Sorry, but I'm drooling despite your request! I wish we could all be there to stand around and praise your husband's work in person so he could hear all the ladies "oooo" and "aaah" :)

Auntiepatch said...

This is beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

A beautiful piece of furniture, love the style and the handles are ideal.

Janet O. said...

Did you really think any of us could help drooling? Have I mentioned that mission style is my favorite furniture?? My living room and kitchen and bedroom are all in that style. There is serious drooling going on here!
Please give Sir Old Man my deepest respect for his work--the meticulous attention to detail is wonderful. With such precision, he could be a quilter! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lovely! I just sent the link to my hubby, who is learning woodworking.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to be very disobedient and DROOL all over the place! Sir Old Man did an excellent job on this perfect for you cabinet. I shared it with my woodworking husband and he'e also drooling. You're one very blessed lady.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...