Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Stitching on the Braid

Last night I finished the scrappy mountain blocks--delectable mountains--that I had cut.  After the pressing I realized I had cut too many "downhill" blocks and not enough "uphill" ones  (the mirror image).  So I hit the stash again and cut the needed squares to make some more "uphill" blocks.  Here's some of the "downhill" ones.  I am using 10 1/2 inch squares to begin and then the strips are cut to 2 1/2 inches.  The block end up unfinished at 8 1/2 by 10 inches.  Since I am adding more blocks that I need, the quilt will end up large rather than a lap size. 
I have been piecing using the featherweight machine.  It began running heavy and needed a good cleaning and oiling.  And a new needle....remember it goes in sideways!   Even so, I love that little machine.
And back to the french braid......I had one run done and have begun the second, which is about half way done.  I wanted a photo to be sure I was happy with the colors.  The second run does not start with the same fabric as the first, and the third and fourth will be different too.  The photo shows the two runs....unpressed or trimmed.  The piecing is very easy once you get the system down, so the rest should go together quickly.
 I found some batik on sale while in Asheville that I believe I can use for the separator bands, as it has the blue, purple and rosy tones in it.  But that is for another day, I need to finish the piecing first!  That's why I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at once.  I get bored easily and my mind starts jumping around to something else.  By switching back and forth between projects, I manage to get things finished.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...