Monday, May 13, 2019

Jewel Box Star

   The binding is finally on the Jewel Box Star.   This one began in  July 2018,  as the annual leader and ender project from Bonnie Hunter.  

   I used all floral fabrics for the block pattern.  I had to plan that out before I really began.  Since then I have been working on the units and sections between other things, until I had a small size top. 

  I really don't need another large bed quilt, so a smaller throw size was made.





 I knew I wanted a nice applique border on this to carry the flower theme out to the border.  The center would be busy enough and a "quieter" border sounded good. 

   I added applique vines and flowers to opposing corners of the top.   I wasn't really thinking about the quilting when I decided to do that.  I just liked the visual effect.






   The center of the quilt was quilted with a medium meander stitch.  For the  solid border I wanted quilting that would show texture and stand out.  I debated on several ideas, but found the perfect solution in my quilting motif notebook.  It's called leaf meander and worked just right. 

   I used a flange binding here too.  I repeated the inner border fabric for the flange, and used all floral prints for the visible part of the binding.  I think I stitched 5 different ones together for this. 






  While the open areas of the border were easy to fill in with the leaves, around the applique took a bit of time and patience.  The inner section around the applique was densely quilted with pebbling and small stippling, and the outer areas with the leaf motif. 




 
   Another great fabric for the back.  Also purchased from the QuiltedTwins website.  It was listed as a tan but had a distinct greenish tint....I thought it was more a pale sage with a tonal print design of swirls and blooms. 

















 
   And this leader/ender project is done. 


   Happy stitching. 

14 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a gorgeous sight for a gray rainy day, again. All florals, all the time. Love the binding. The quilt has such a huggable feel.

Gene Black said...

That is a beautiful finish, Debbie. I love how you did the quilting around the appliqué.
I found the Quilted Twins website last time you mentioned it. I may have extra backing fabric now.....

Ray and Jeanne said...

It is gorgeous! I love the quilting and think the pebbling and small stippling were the perfect choices for inside the appliqué. I always have trouble figuring out how to quilt whenI have appliqué. I'm sure this quilt will be well used. This is a great finish! ~Jeanne

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm not a big floral fan, but I really like this one. Love the vines on the border.

MissPat said...

Another lovely finish. The last Bonnie leader and ender I did was the split nine patch blocks. The blocks are done but putting it together keeps getting postponed, mostly because I don't have anywhere to lay it out to finalize the design. My leader and ender's are now mostly block parts for ongoing projects.
Pat

Louise said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! The leaf meander really works so well in the solid cream border. It wouldn't have shown at all in the center, so meander was a smart choice there. Congrats on the finish, Debbie!

Quilting Babcia said...

And what a beautiful finish this is! I love the way the appliques pop with the dense quilting surrounding them.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

And a beautiful finish it is! The quilting is perfect for it. I know a lady who brags she doesn't have one floral fabric. Can you imagine that? I love the florals as much as you do.

Mary said...

Beautiful finish. It won't be long before Bonnie tells us what the next leader and ender project will be.

Janet O. said...

Another lovely finish, Debbie!
I really like how you have quilted the outer border. That is a great design--one I think I could mess up really easily. :)

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Lovely finish!

Nicki said...

That is such a beautiful quilt. I've liked it from beginning to end. Your quilting on it just enhances the whole thing & the "quieter" border was just perfect. You do make such beautiful quilts. All of them are so soothing & say "cover up with me". Thanks for sharing your work & tips with us.

Cathy said...

Congrats on a really beautiful and elegant finish! I love your fabrics and the leaf meander quilting.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great finish - congratulations. Your quilting on the border is magical.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...